Topic

Best Cheap Gear of 2013

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Cheap Gear of 2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

No idea how they compare. Free is pretty cheap!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Discussed on another thread and should be included here:

Daiso Store water bladders for $1.50, mentioned by Bob G and Goodwill new 2.5 liter bladders for $1.79 at my mention.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

This year, being one of the driest years on record in the Western U.S., things like water containers will be a very important gear item. I'm almost ready to go stock up on them. The 3.9L one for $1.50 got my attention.

–B.G.–

Steven Hollifield

@bisonkron23

Lots of Dollar Tree Scores:
    painters plastic drop cloth ( used this for drying out feet on the trail, and for in front of tent entrance to help keep out dirt, cut to size )
    They also have flip flops for camp shoes and a sham-wow rip off for cleaning.

Walmart sells a pair of sun-glasses in the fishing section that are very light, have not weighted them, and cost $5.

Re-used a fully plastic bubble mailer for a meal koozie.

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Locale: The Back of Beyond

Aluminum Coke Bottle For Fuel Container

After many years of service from my beloved Platy "Lil' Nipper", it finally died. RIP. If you still have one, consider yourself fortunate. I have tried other plastic bottles, but none have matched the "Lil' Nipper".

I was recently at a business function in Boston and the caterer had Coke and Sprite in 8.5 oz. aluminum bottles on the beverage table. It was love at first sight. The perfect size for a 5 day supply of alcohol fuel. The weight is 0.9 oz. It is a nice size and shape to slip in a pack side pocket. After several trips, the cap seal continues to seal.

I found that many grocery and convenient stores have Coke product in these bottles in the northeast. I have not found them in the southeast where I reside.

Thanks for this thread.Aluminun beverage bottle for fuel

Aluminun beverage bottle for fuel 0.9 oz

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

This is a great thread, with some excellent ideas in it. Here's my list from 2013:

–DriDucks rain suits
    –1 mil painters plastic from Home Depot, for ground cloths
    –the Kirkland down jacket
    –mini-Bics
    –Old Navy "active" shirts: excellent tech shirts, low prices
    –Walmart's Outdoor Products mini-drybag 3-pack
    –Walmart's dollar ponchos
    –1 quart Powerade bottles
    –Walmart "croc-off" keen-like croc sandals.

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools