In anticipation of possibly not being allowed to use alcohol next summer on the JMT, Ive been playing with my Gnat a bit.
For this, I may use a stainless steel 10cm cup that weighs 2.03 oz. With lid its 2.2 oz.
So I did some test boiling 16 oz water (weighed). With high heat, It rolling boils in 2.5 minutes on 0.27 oz fuel. But on very low heat, it reaches boil in about 9 minutes on 0.18 oz fuel.
Big difference by waiting a few minutes.
So, I calculated up how many boils I could get out of a 100gm cannister that way. = 19.5
A single 100gm cannister will work for me for the JMT.= :)
So, I wondered how a jetboil would compare to this. Note, I dont own one.
Jetboil says they basically average 0.14 oz fuel per 2 cup boil. Not that great really, but it is much faster, which is worth something in groups for sure.
On a total weight basis, a jetboil would be 8.5 oz+8 oz for 100gm cannister and fuel = 16.5 oz to boil about 25 2-cup boils.
For the same weight with my gnat and SS cup, 3.9 oz + larger 12oz cannister/fuel = 15.9 oz, but could boil 8/.18= 44 2-cup boils.
Jetboil loses. Even at 0.1 oz per boil the jetboil still loses.
This surprised me because fuel efficiency on long trips was the reason many cite for carrying a jetboil. Yes its fuel efficient when used to heat fast. But not enough to make up for the weight it seems if you heat slow with a UL cannister setup.



