Topic

Good high dessert hike/sleeping system?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedDec 21, 2013 at 8:59 am

Hi,

What would be an UL sleeping system for high desert conditions. The temps will range about high 80's during the day, and around low 20's at night. It'll be about 3-4 days through-hike. I was wondering if a half-bag (i.e. Nunatak 8oz) with some kind down vest with down sleeves could be a good trade-off weight wise but do you have any suggestions? I'm not looking for a full winter sleeping system but a 3-season system that I can push in to the low 20's at night and not overkill on the weight side.

Another way to ask the question would be…if I had a nice half-bag, and it was 20F outside, what would be the lightest jacket -or layer-combo- but yet a good offset for the 20F temperature.

Thanks for your thoughts,

M.

Buck Nelson BPL Member
PostedDec 21, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I think people often underestimate how much insulation they’ll need in the desert. Low 20s is still chilly. It can rain and blow (and even snow seasonally) as well. Personally, I’d bring a full sleeping bag.

Here’s my gear list from my longest desert hike. There were times when I was very glad to have plenty of insulation.

PostedDec 21, 2013 at 7:14 pm

My WM Megalite 30 F. bag plus hiking pants and a down sweaer have been good for 24 F. in August on the PCT near Olancha Peak in a high valley (8,000 ft.). The down jacket is absolutely necessary for wearing around camp in the morning.

Ya gotta wear a good stocking cap or balaclava too.

My mattress was a Thermarest Prolite regular length. My WPB rain gear is laid beneath the mattress and helps a bit.

This is also good in winter around the deserts of my home area near 'Vegas – Baby.

PostedDec 22, 2013 at 5:07 am

Thank you! I saw the Nunatak rated for 20f and I thought you could combine it with something on top that could held up the warm at those temperatures for sleeping…so, it does not sound like it can be done then…I appreciate the feedback, as I don't want to make a mistake with cold weather.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...