Topic

Bug netting in my Gatewood Cape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bug netting in my Gatewood Cape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

This is Sea To Summit 1 person bug shelter that weighs in at 9 ounces and fits rather nicely into my Six Moon Designes Gatewood Cape. It hooks up at the center where the harness is for the pole. I am going to Yosemite this weekend to try it out. Just thought someone would like to see this.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Oh and sorry for the large photo file, I am a computer idiot.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Very nice. I think this qualifies as a very light double walled tent. It looks like it is centered around your midsection. I think I might like it more if it was a bit more slanted towards the head. In other words, more room around the head, but less around the feet. Does the netting and the tarp have that flexibility?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ross, the netting is set up so that the head has a good foot to two feet of clearance. I am trying to figure out how to raise it a little more so that I can get the netting off of the feet. It can be done, I just need to play with it a bit more. After taking it down I realized how easy this whole set up was. I had everything in stuff sacks in a matter of a few minutes. Love it. For a total of 20 ounces I have a shelter and rain gear.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Ken,

Very nice pics!

Two questions:

1) Is the mesh true noseeum? The tiny ones suck here in FL!

2) I'm 6'1" (w/big feet!) and was wondering if there is enough clearance in your setup (with or without netting) for someone my height?

Thanks, and great setup!
    Todd

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Hey Todd, I am 6'1 also and I have enough room in the shelter to fit in it, even with it staked to the ground. In bad weather, I would assume that I would not be using the net. And no, it is not true no seeum. Sorry. For me in the Sierra's during buggy conditions it should be enough. I just like the way that this set up could work. For 20 ounces I get both full protection and a poncho for rainwear. The Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape is awesome and I recommend it to everyone. As for the netting it is from Sea to Summit and I am sure that there are lighter nets out there..mayber Lynn Wheldon Gear or MLD but this has the line that attaches to the center of the cape wich works because the pole canopy set up is in the middle of the cape. Thanks for the interest guys.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Ken, I think you said in an earlier thread that you take your gear above treeline. After reading Will Rietveld's account of using his Gatewood in stormy weather above treeline I wondered if I could trust it in the Alps this summer. I've set mine up outside my apartment a number of times and always get the jitters when thinking of taking it high up… just seems so insubstantial. Of course I would be thinking of appropriate sites, where it isn't too exposed and such, but I wonder if I would be happy in it for a month of walking?

I'd also like to ask how long you made the tieout guylines. I've made mine each 16 inches long, as per Ron's instructions, but that doesn't seem long enough.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Miguel..nice!!!! Sounds like you have had more fun figuring out your Cape than I have. Ummm six inch guylines. I just did not want the whole 16 inch per guyline but after reading yours, you have me thinking and now I do want to give that a try. I wonder if I did make it 16 inches with my netting would it improve the bug netting to more of a liveable space.. I would think so. You have my head spinning now with some cool ideas.

And yes, I would not hesitate taking this above treeline. None at all. I am still learning site selection but for me, the Sierra's always have natural breaks to use to your advantage. Though it is up to luck sometimes to find them. Nice one Miguel!! You made me think!!!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Ken,

Thanks for the info.

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

Miguel i have a gatewood cape, its my favourite shelter and i spent some weeks in alps in summer the last 6 years

I use the GC frecuently above the tree line and while i think that you can use the GC in alps but sometimes there are very strong storms with heavy rain. I´m not sure if the GC can deal with these storms.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Carlos, thanks so much for that information. Gives me a much better idea of what to expact. I'm just a little confused… you said that you used the GC above treeline in the Alps, but then say that it might not be able to deal with the storms there. Are you saying it is better not to take it then? Or do you still take it to the Alps? (•j•)?"

Kevin, sorry to hijack your thread; I seem to be doing a little too much of that lately…

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

That's a cool setup. Does the S2S bug shelter have a floor? Also, just out of curiosity, have you considered the pros/cons of the S2S bug shelter versus a BMW Vapr Bivy with bug netting for essentially the same weight? Not sure which way I would go, but would appreciate other's perspectives.

Thinking out loud here…

The S2S bug shelter:
    – Pros: Allows you to sit up, change, etc. with bug protection in place. Would probably be good for condensation purposes too.
    – Cons: Doesn't add much more protection than what the cape provides above treeline.

The BMW Vapr Bivy with bug net:
    – Pros: Provides additional warmth and protection from mist, splash, spin drift and wet ground.
    – Cons: Tight confines of a bivy, cost.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Jason, the bug shelter does not have a floor. I use a Gossamer Gear spin ground sheet cut where my head is to be the widest and trimmed down to my feet. I just tuck the netting underneath the the ground cloth. Again the reason that I like this set up is for two reasons, bug protection and the other is a two in one shelter. I had the Vapor trail bivy with the netting and felt claustrophobic. A great product but again my shelter serves two functions. Great questions!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

You're welcome Todd!

Patrick Baker

@wildman

9oz is the manufacturer weight.
    What does it really weigh ?
    (sorry, gram counter)

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/S2S605

It looks as though you enter by lifting the edge.
    Are the corners staked through loops.

Good find, full protection & lighter than many options.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Patrick, manufacturers weight. I got mine at Rock Creek Outfittes for $27. It has 4 stake out points and yes you lift one of them up to enter. I am a big guy so it is a tad of squirm to get in. I am going to Yosemite for 3 days starting tomorrow. I will have a full report as to how well this performs. I was in Emmigrant last weekend and was eatin alive by mosquitos.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Oh and their are other options like Lynn Wheldon Gear, MLD, and Gossamer Gear that weighs in at 3 ounces but only have 1 left? A16 has another option at 6 ounces but comes in a pretty large stuff thing that just does not fit in my pack. Again the reason that I chose this one is because of where you attach it to the center harness. That made it the winner for me.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I recently decided on a Brawny Sleep Net at 3.25oz from AntiGravity Gear. I liked the way it went over the top half of a bag rather than being pegged or tied down. I'm using this strictly for summer sleeping in shelters at this time, although it will work nicely if I switch to an actual tarp.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I also got the Brawny Sleep Net from AGG about a month ago. It works great inside the gatewood cape. I first tried suspending it from the inside tieout that is over your head but found out that it works better suspended from the center harness. It's surprisingly roomy suspended this way.

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

Well, the problem is, If the weather is ok you can use it, but if you plan is to stay there one month you can be sure that you must deal with some storms

I probably choose a more stable single walled tent like your rainbow ;-)

As an example last year i bougth one rainbow and my girlfriend (who knows perfectly the alps weather) forced me to carry my BD firstlight ….. and was a good decision because last year the weather was specially bad.

But is only my personal opinion (and I insist .. the gatewood cape is my favourite shelter)

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

How did the field test go, Ken? I bought a Gatewood Cape earlier this week and, thanks to your photos, I'm thinking seriously about buying one of those Sea to Summit bug nets.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Ken,

I, too, am interested in how your setup worked. I've been toying with the idea of adding bug netting to my Gatewood. The Sea To Summit net looks pretty good.

Now, I was noticing that the Gatewood Cape (11oz) + Stakes (1oz) + Bug Shelter (9oz) = 21oz which is exactly what a floorless Tarptent "Contrail" weighs (including stakes). Of course you can't wear the Contrail, but it is a terrific tent (I have one with a floor.) I really like the idea of duel use, but if I had to spend much time in a shelter due to weather, I would much prefer the Contrail.

That said, much of my camping does not involve a lot of weather, but it does involve a lot of bugs, so let us know what you think about the STS Bug Shelter.

Thanks,

-Mark

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Also awaiting Ken's trip report…I'm wondering if it'd be feasible to rig up an MLD Bug Bivy inside a Gatewood Cape. The horizontal bow-and-stern tieouts could prove challenging to tie off inside the cape, but maybe some inventive rigging could help…might be the wrong shape, but at 3.9 ounces with a Spectralite bottom for both bug protection and ground cover, is it worth investigating (and paying 5x as much as Ken's S2S netting)?

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

For anyone who's thinking of trying the Sea to Summit mosquito netting, I've found a lighter, cheaper option by Stansport that I think I'm really going to like. I bought mine on eBay a few days ago for $20.98 shipped — the seller doesn't have any more listed at the moment, though. I know that Wal-Mart sells Stansport products, so someone might be lucky enough to find one there. The dimensions and design appear to be identical to the Sea to Summit model (7'3" long, 4' wide, 3'6" tall), and this one claims to be no-see-um proof (the holes are definitely bigger than those on typical no-see-um netting, though, so that may not be accurate). The best part is that it weighs 5.2 oz (6.2 oz with tie-out cord and stuff sack). Here are a few photos:

As Ken found, this design seems to be a tailor-made insect solution for the cape. The height of the netting is a perfect match for the cape's interior height, it's very roomy, and the netting is completely away from my upper body. The foot end should be easy to suspend from the opposite interior hang loop, as well.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

I ended up going with a baseball cap and the BPL headnet for my Cape. Nice thing about the BPL headnet is that it is duel purpose. I wear it while doing photography if the bugs are really bad.

I had an old style headnet and find the BPL headnet much more breathable at night. The visibility is great and it is super light: .33 oz.

Team the headnet with the BPL UL ball cap and you have a great solution for 2 ounces IMO.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools