Topic

22.5 Gram gasification wood stove attempt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 22.5 Gram gasification wood stove attempt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

22.5 Gram gasification wood stove
    V8 outer can and 2 vienna sausage cans
    V8 outer can and 2 vienna sausage cans

First burn attempt Good clean flame
    First burn attempt   Good clean flame

Holds about 15 min of wood
    Holds about 15 min of wood

Next to burn longer and see if inner can will take the heat.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Do you have any holes on the bottom of the sausage cans?

What will you use to raise the pot up and away from the rim of the stove?

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Dan,
    Yes I have quite a few holes drilled in the bottom of the inner can. I have not designed a pot stand as I am not convinced that the inner can will stand up to long term heat without melting. I will try a 45 min. burn this evening to see what happens. If, as I suspect, the inner can melts :'( I have found some evaporated milk cans that are approximately the same size.
    Just so you know, you inspired with your designs.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

how did the test go??

is the inner can large enough? I have had sucess in making gassified wood stoves, and have come across some cans i think will work well, but are alot smaller than any other wood stoves i have made in the past, so i have doubted they would hold enough wood to bring water to a boil.

but if your 2 vienna sausage cans (I am assuming they are 5oz cans) have worked… I think the 10oz chilli can i plan on using for the inner can will be enough volume.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Ryan,
    After burning the stove for 30 min. the vienna sausage cans were very distorted. I replaced them with 2 condensed milk cans of similar size and they worked fine, no distortion. The 10 oz can you have should work just as well. Interest for this subject waned so I did not report back. Thanks for your interest.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

thanks mikie,

I made the stove yesterday afternoon, i made it basically the same design i have had sucess with before, but i have seemed to misplaced my metal dril bits, so i made the holes in the sides of the can with a church key style can opener.

IT is not quite as good looking as my previous stove, but i think it will work, i havent had a chance to test it yet, so if it does work well, ill retire it as my first prototype, and buy some new drill bits.

thanks for the inspiration

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools