Topic

Cloudveil interia Plus Vs. Schoeller

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cloudveil interia Plus Vs. Schoeller

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    James Hemphill

@jhemp_00

I’m thunkin on gettin a soft shell! But I’m concerned about the Schoeller Dryskin extreme. I have a pair of the cloudveil switch back pants that have started fraying horribly from being snagged by cats claw and other schrubs of the southwest (Gila Wilderness). I love the fabric, but it’s starting to fall apart after 6 months use. I like the north face Apex fabrics, thier a little heavy but I’ve had a pair of pants and a top for two years with no fraying from snags, or anything. But the Apex top I have is to warm for most Spring/fall ventures down here. So this sent me to the Cloudveil Interia Fabric, maybe a patagonia Soft shell Fabric, or stick witha lighter TNF Apex fabric. I dunno! what do ya’all think?
    James

Zeno Martin

@ananda

I have some Cloudveil inertia fabric pants and they pill (make little fabric balls at wear areas). I bought mine in 2004 and don’t know if it’s inertia “plus”, or if the plus is anything more than Cloudveil marketing. I also have Patagonia super guide pants which seem very similar to Schoeller – they also pill pretty bad. The Powershield top that I have seems much more durable than the Inertia or Patagonia version. I love softshell for it’s comfort but I’m not too impressed with fabric durability, except for the Powershield.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

For a light softshell material,the only other alternatives to Inertia plus mentioned (which does pill) is Pertex Equilibrium (found in Golite’s Synergy pant) and Schoeller Dynamic (the least water resistant of the lot).These are both pretty tough fabrics. I like my Synergy pants alot as a general multi-purpose backpacking pant. I go offtrail alot.

I only use softshell pants in the Summer,softshell tops are usually too warm except occasionally,like during a summertime snowstorm high on a Cascade stratovolcano.

If you really want tough as well as superior all-around performance (better than Polarshield) check out Schoeller WB-400. Although this is strictly for late-fall thru early spring conditions–think backcountry skiing or alpine climbing. In fact,check out the Beyondfleece.com website for great custom softshell and comparisons on many of the softshell materials out there.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Another alternative could be Tweave Durastretch or Durastretch Lightweight. Works pretty good.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

arteryx’s material ? I forgot that. Lotsa $$ and unusual construction methods–zippers,pockets are glued not sewn. how tough is it ?

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Feels and looks much tougher than the schoeller material. Tweave also makes the nylon outer portion of powershield (or at least part of them) and I think the properties of durastretch are pretty similar to the powershield nylon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools