Topic

Aniversary for 1000 mile summer

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedDec 18, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Next year is the 50th anniversary of the publication of Colin Fletcher's first book, "1000 mile Summer". Although the actual walk was in '58, and at least one person has recreated his trip in detail, using original maps of Fletcher route:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0985380306/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was wondering if anybody is planning on doing some kind of memorial hike to commemorate. Maybe a bunch of us should get together and repeat part of the route and toast the old guy's memory. The white mountains might be nice! Or the place with all the "mutant" trout he seemed to really love…see what has happened in the last 56 years.

BTW The book above isn't too bad. After you get past the very awkward, non-proofread English (not his first language) the book seems to have a real heart. It might really bug some people, but I have developed an immunity over the year from working with so many smart people who hardly spoke English. I may post a review when I get done, been reading it really slow … like I backpack .. as a bedtime snack. If I do I will post some samples so people can decide for themselves if it would be hard for them to read.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Loading...