Topic

UL duffel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL duffel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello. I'm looking for a large volume lightweight duffel to use as an extra layer of protection when traveling with my Ohm. I use the duffel when I need or check my bag in with the bus company or airline.

I currently use the burly 20 oz (!) REI packable duffel (http://www.rei.com/product/787296/rei-pack-duffel-bag). This was purchased before I ever heard of BPL. It's a true bomber but I'm tired of the bulk and weight. It is the single heaviest item I carry when traveling, other than the pack itself.

Sea to summit makes a nice UL version (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/141) but it is smaller than the REI one. I'm not sure about the durability of the silnylon in this application, but I'm not too worried if it looks beat up, the bag just needs to provide some protection. I don't mind taping up tears over time.

Does anyone know of other options for a sub 10 oz large duffel?

Thanks.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have one that is 8.2oz. Send me a PM if you are interested :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Outdoor Products makes a lot of different sizes of duffel bags. Also, there are thin ones and thicker ones. That's what I used for the last time I needed to pack a backpack for the airline.

–B.G.–

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Usually airlines can wrap your pack in stretch plastic material at the check in to protect it and other baggage. I've purchased cheap duffel's at the local thrift store before. Less than $5 and tossed it when I arrived at my destination (I wasn't flying back).

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Good idea on the shrink wrap. Heavy duty food wrap can substitute, or a trash compactor bag and good packing tape.

We took a cooler to Maui to use in the car for picnicking and packed it like luggage and taped it up. The poor Hawaii agricultural inspectors had kittens until they saw it was just full of sandals and beach towels.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools