Topic

Question about alergies due to new bag

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedDec 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Hey folks,

I have a new bag I recently tried out and if felt like I was having a slight allergic reaction. It was the usually reaction I have, same as when I visit the people who have cats – slight irritation to by eyes and face. I will have to test this out again a few time to be sure, but it seemed clear if I moved the bag away from my face far enough the problem went away. unfortunately this was also far enough for the bag to not really work.

For the record I have 3 other down bags, none of which ever bugged me at all. This new bag is however from a different manufacturer – cottage one. Also for the record, I have parrots and either have gotten over any allergies to those feathers, or else never had them. So it seems based on the above it would probably be that I am allergic to the *specific* goose down used in this new bag, or else to the bag shell itself – perhaps a treatment of the shell, or maybe how/where it was stored before manufacture, or perhaps some residue "new car smell" type effect of the shell material. Since it was a cottage industry product, the material may have gone straight off the roll, into the bag, and to my front porch in a matter of days.

My question is has anyone else had a similar problems? Has anyone ever had a reaction to specific goose down? If so did it go away over time? Do people think it might be the shell instead? Should I wash the bag?

Hopefully some people on here will have had some experiences that might help.

PostedDec 18, 2013 at 1:37 pm

It could be the fabric.
Easy enough to test IF the stuff sack is made of the same fabric.
If it is maybe a good airing will fix the problem

PostedDec 18, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I have noticed a chemical smell coming off the new bags that I bought last year.. and makes my sinuses swell. It may be then newness of the fabric off-gassing or the DWR chemical coating… both of which bother me.

Worse yet is new cuban fiber… terrible off-gassing of a very strong chemical smell… gives me headaches… I had to let my cuban air out for a month before I could be in the same room with it…

Billy

Ben H. BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2013 at 8:49 am

Well since this is a cottage bag, perhaps it was made in a home (or workspace) with cats. I know Tim (at EE) uses several different people to sew his bags.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...