Topic

shangri la 2 tarp golite

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
eric schultz BPL Member
PostedDec 18, 2013 at 11:21 am

I am looking for a 2 man shelter. I really like the zpack hexamid or the smd cuben fiber haven. They are not the most inexpensive. I understand the materials and workmanship is of great quality. I think a good alternative is either the shangri la 2 tarp from golite or the bd betalight. I backpack mostly in Arizona, Sierras, and Colorado in the summer months. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Eric

PostedDec 20, 2013 at 6:50 am

I was looking for a light single for use in 90% of my hiking – camping needs and cost next weight a driving factor… picked one up in the Gear Sale here for about 80 shipped and am very happy with it… good weather about 4 stakes; bad I was up to 8 or so to keep the side walls off of me… a friend has the notch and while very nice I just could not score one in the GS…

Steve K BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2013 at 8:48 am

I have it with the (discontinued) inner nest and I like it a lot. I've spent over 15 days in it so far and it's a snap to set up and quite weatherproof.

I don't like the pole in the entryway however, which makes getting in and out tricky, but if you have three poles (your hiking partner's), you can set up the entry as an A-frame.

J-L BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2013 at 9:32 am

I current own an SL2 and at one point owned a BetaLight as well.

The BetaLight is about an inch or two bigger than the SL2 in every dimension (length, width, and height); however, due to the poles being closer together than in the SL2, and due to the extreme cat cuts, the BetaLight felt smaller inside than the SL2. The cat cut does make it incredibly easy to get a very tight pitch on the BetaLight where I seem to always have a wrinkle or two with the SL2.

Ben Wortman BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I like the SL2 also. I cut off the adjustable straps and installed linelock 3's on mine. This way I am able to pitch it extra high when the weather is nice and i want more airflow or just sun protection with a better view.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...