Topic

Marmot Ion Windshirt – $29.83 at REI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Marmot Ion Windshirt – $29.83 at REI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Robb Stanek
    Spectator

@rstanek

Locale: Southeast, Atlanta, GA

not a bad price.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Wow, that's 40% off a brand name jacket that just got updated this year! Wonder why???

I already have one in size Large, but it's a tad too big for me, so I am going to take advantage of the discount and order a Medium. If it fits better, then I will sell my Large.

Thanks for the 'heads up', Robert!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I just ordered a Large from REI. I am not sure how useful I will find a windshirt as I normally carry my GoLite Phantom rain jacket anyways, but at that price I figured why not. I just hope that the jacket turns out to be much more breathable than the Gore Tex in my raincoat

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

As mentioned above, I already have a Marmot Ion — current model, in size large. It's pretty breathable, definitely more so than anything with a Goretex laminate. Do post your experience once you get your new Marmot.

gdinero senior

@gmoney

I bought one from REI in two weeks ago in Size medium for the $30 price tag.

It weighs just under 5 oz's on my kitchen digital scale. The surface seems like non-breathable crap you get on the cheap rain coats, and there is nothing on the tag to indicate that it's a 2007 other than the Marmot model number.

All in all, compared to my Chinook, it's heavier, feels more substantial, and when I wore it briefly in some winds, felt like it was no more wind proof. Even given the great price, I'm leaning toward returning it. Not really into spending money on things that only half work.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've only "played around" with a Chinook a few years ago, so absolutely no real experience whatsoever. I suspect that the breathability of both is pretty comparable. In that regard, I wouldn't waste $30 on another jacket that does more or less the same thing.

As mentioned above, I find the current Ion pretty breathable — much more breathable than the 2005 model.

When it comes to rain jacket — 100% waterproof aside — we all want the most breathable model we can afford. But when it comes to a wind jacket, I don't believe more breathability is always better! Of course, we would want the wind jacket to be breathable enough… but without a PU coating, too much breathability can be a bad thing — as it also means too little wind blocking ability. We want some balance of both.

To me, the current Marmot Ion provides a good balance between sufficient breathability and sufficient wind blocking.

gdinero senior

@gmoney

My cats put some holes in my Chinook when I left it lying around the house; that's the only reason I picked up the Ion.

I love my Chinook, but it is nowhere near as breathable as the Drop Stoppers (assuming DriDucks same permeability as the Drop Stoppers, should apply similarly). I have overheated a little hiking in the Chinook in conditions that warranted light rain protection.

I haven't really done a great job of field testing the new Ion, but even still, leaning toward returning it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I would say test it and give it a chance… but then, most places, it's just too darn hot to test any kind of jacket right now! :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools