Topic

Trail Runners and Snow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trail Runners and Snow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you wear a size 9 I've got a pair I'll sell you cheap (I've got the 288 GTXs). Excellent shape.

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

My feet are a bit too big for that but thanks. I think my Cascadia 7s are a 13 wide. My feet never were over a size 10.5-11 and now they have gotten big. Think it is the hiking. Could be the cookies though.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

My normal hiking shoes are LaSportiva Wildcats that are generously, but not loosely, sized and I use the thin double-layered Wright socks. In rainy weather below 40 degF or so I add a pair of Cabelas Gore-Tex socks and my feet stay warm and dry. Below freezing I replace the Wright socks with a thicker model.

If the additional layers build up enough to change the fit of your trail runners, just remove the foam insole for those times. It can add enough wiggle room to make the same shoe more versatile.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

>> I think my Cascadia 7s are a 13 wide.

LLBEAN sells most of their hiking shoes/boots in wide widths if you need them. They sell both Asian-made and European made boots.

I don't think I'd get a taller version of your trail runners for cold/wet/winter use. Maybe a mid-height hiker that splits the difference between your trail runners and your hunting boots. That would not only give you something dry, but something to split the difference in matching terrain.

The Keen Targhee is a popular mid-height hiker around here. Waterproof, not super heavy.

The hiking trails around here are brutal rocky, so I hike (and snowshoe) in these. They are traditional Italian GoreTex leather boots. Not real stiff for heavy backpacking, but very comfortable. The leather is great because water and moisture never even gets to the GoreTex liner as it does with mesh shoes:

Cresta Hiker

I also have a fairly heavy low-cut boot from the same company. I wear these on smoother trails and as a fantastic around town winter shoe. I don't wear these much for rocky trails because I end up banging the heck out of my ankles.

Mountain treads

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

Thanks for the tip on the LLBean boots. Will check those out. I was planning on checking out the Targhee IIs once I can get to REI. Good to know folks like them.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

I thought that's what I was going to get. In fact, I ordered a pair from Zappos to try around the house. Really comfortable, but they didn't work for my foot in terms of providing enough support to keep my foot from slamming forward (like walking downhill).

I really liked how the Keens fit, though. Nice wide toe box.

The all-leather Bean Cresta Hikers were comfortable right out of the box. I wore them for a hike brand new and have never gotten a blister or hot spot. They get even more comfortable as I wear them.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

I love mine for short walks in cold, wet conditions. They are as waterproof as I need them to be. Nothing gets in from the outside. Unfortunately, nothing gets out from the inside either. More than ten miles or so, and my feet are soaked and slimy. So for me they are of very limited value. I'll probably sell them soon.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

Slimey feet does not sound good at all.

I haven't had that problem with GoreTex leather hikers, but it may be because I wear a polypro liner and merino wool/blend hiking socks year round. I'm glad to take the boots and socks off at the end of a hike and the fresh air on my tootsies feels good, but I suspect that would be the case after six hours of hiking no matter what.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

It's probably just me. My feet are always either cool and dry, or hot and slimy. If I stop moving in cold weather with hot and slimy feet, they quickly become cold and slimy, and I have to stop and dry them off and change socks, etc. I almost ruined my feet once so I may be overly-cautious now.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

Maybe GoreTex barriers in boots really does breath better than the no-name membrane that Keen uses… but I seriously doubt it makes much difference.

In any case, I'll put up with sweaty feet to not have wet feet after stepping on submerged rocks crossing an ice cold stream.

Knock on wood, I've yet to have cold feet winter hiking or snow shoeing. My hands are usually the problem, unless I go with insulated mitts. That may be a function of old age… :)

John Little

@xjohn

Locale: Midwest

I was just about to post this same question about trail runners in 20 degree weather and snow.

From what I read here it seems goretex runners with goretex socks might work, but a light pair of boots may be called for in some cases.

So I'm looking at 20 degree snow/sleet at night but getting to high 30's and maybe 40's during the day. Several river crossings..I'll probably use bread bags for these.

For the above I'm thinking the goretex trail runners with goretex socks should be ok?

Is that right?

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I'm really no expert at trekking in hard core snow, so take it for what it's worth, but are you going to wear the gtx trail runners while crossing the river John? If so I think water would run over the sides, into your shoe.

I have two pair of light mids (both in gtx because they don't have them in a non-gtx version) and when they do get wet it takes quite a long time to dry if not in the sun. I.e. if I come home and leave them on the north side of my house it will take a lot more than a night to dry for example.

If you have low trail runners I would think more about breathable mesh versions that dry out a bit quicker, with a separate gtx sock and perhaps gaiters. I would consider separate river crossing shoes though.

Also as an aside, in my experience at least, the gtx shoes do get wet. They fair quite well in snow, but not in continuous rain – they consistently wet out in less than thee hours, at which time I'm really dogging in them. Good socks keep me going. But again, that is during the hot/humid rain season and tropical thunder storms, not snow.

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

For me I would only wear the boots in the winter or colder times. In the warmer season I would just wear the trail runners. I think I would rather have to deal with a slightly sweaty foot than a completely wetted out shoe and sock. But I am not dealing with mountain terrain and alpine conditions. The highest place in Missouri is 1700 feet.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Several river crossings..I'll probably use bread bags for these."

Bring some stream crossing shoes, remove your boots and socks and cross the stream. Dry your feet, put your socks and shoes back on, and keep on trucking.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Doug demonstrating the above technique

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

I don't normally hike on trails that have water crossings. Trails close to me just don't have them. But I have started to do trails further away that do. Glad I brought my Keen sandals on the last one. Worked great and kept my feet and shoes dry. I will have to add water shoes to my permanent gear list, just lighter ones :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Brooks Cascadia 7, Kahtoola Microspikes, NRS Hydroskin socks, Smartwool thin liner sock, ID shorty e-vent gaiters.

It works.

This photo is from yesterday: 6 hours of postholing in fresh snow to the summit of Mt. Baden Powell with Adan. He had essentially the same setup, minus the gaiters, using a thicker wool sock, and a different brand of shoe. He was a bit warmer than I was.

Temps were all over the place…well below freezing with windchill on north faces, 75 and sunny on south faces.

My feet were getting a little chilled, but primarily only when stopping on exposing myself to windchill on north faces. During activity, the hydroskins and wool liner were enough. Next time I'd go with a thicker sock though.

Understand that the hydrosocks aren't waterproof; they wet out, but trap heat relatively well if you're active. They will get pretty cold or even freeze if you stop too long though.

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi,
    wore 3mm neoprene socks as inner sock with thinn poly sockliner + full mesh trail runner and on very cold day walk on hardpack Alpine snow my feet got VERY cold/numb from cold once at rest.
    Lesson learnt..Will never repeat it again:)

Did any of you use thin Latex swim socks as VBL socks: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/latex-swim-socks I might try them out this winter..I hate slipping feel of good ol' bread bags..

Thanks

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I've had a bad experience with neoprene in snow. Neoprene seems to insulate in mysterious ways.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've always thought this is yet another highly subjective topic.

My feet yesterday with the above mentioned setup were no colder than my feet are today walking around the house and doing yardwork barefoot at 7AM.

As a surfer, I'm pretty accustomed to having incredibly friggin' cold feet, so when people talk about their feet being cold, I have no idea what it means.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Ummmmmm, never mind.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I can handle cold feet as well, but when your feet start to turn red you have a problem.

I went straight from walking in a stream to walking in snow. I had heard of neoprene socks working well in socks, so I figured they would do double duty. I started off in the neoprene socks (nrs hydroskins) and It was way too cold. I layered some wool socks underneath the neoprene socks (not too tight) and I was still way too cold. I ended up taking the neoprene socks off and just using the wool socks and I was much warmer, however it was still a huge problem. In that experience, the noeoprene socks seemed to have a negative insulation and actually made my feet colder.

Those wool socks were my sleep socks, now wet and starting to freeze, and I was stuck on a ridge with temps into the teens with those socks. I ended up getting close to hypothermia that night. This was in Big Sur up at the window (4k feet) during one of those cold spells like we had a couple weeks ago, was not prepared for that.

I'm only more confused now that you say they have worked well for you.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I wonder if people having trouble with neoprene are actually experiencing poor circulation problems from the socks being too tight with layers underneath or not fitting in the shoe well.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I'm only more confused now that you say they have worked well for you."

I too am a big fan of neoprene socks. It's been around 15° for the morning walks and I'm doing fine. This morning it was 10° and the snow was about 6" deep in places.

However –
    1) My shoes are at least a size bigger than my summer setup and the wool/blend socks and the neoprene socks (NRS) are loose as well. My shoes are not laced tight. I also use a calf-high gaiter

2) I wear a Lot of warmth on my legs, including wind pants if there is even the slightest breeze. If I skimp on the legs I usually get cold feet.

Edit to add:

3) For extend trips I do use bread bags over my feet – they really help to keep the socks dry.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I wear a Lot of warmth on my legs, including wind pants if there is even the slightest breeze. If I skimp on the legs I usually get cold feet."

This is why I often hike in ski socks in the winter – I like having my socks cover my calves to help keep them warm.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools