Topic

Zpacks Triplex

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm

This product doesn't even show up on the Zpacks web site yet.

–B.G.–

Ian BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2013 at 8:36 pm

It will be interesting to see the specs and the price tag for this tent.

PostedDec 18, 2013 at 5:46 am

I still have the Hexamid twin. I really like the bathtub floor design he shows in this video, and the way he has rigged shock cord on the inside to keep the sides of the bathtub "high" so that condensation properly runs down the walls of the tent and then outside the bathtub floor. I've had a few occasions with the Hexamid where I was getting drips inside the tent. It was fixed by readjusting the corner stakeout points, but this seems less finicky.

BPLwiia BPL Member
PostedDec 18, 2013 at 6:24 pm

There is something endearing about a little extra space after a long day's hike. You don't have to precisely put gear in a space in order for it to fit. You can move around and relax.

I like the triplex a lot. I even like it as a solo tent. Come to daddy my little friend!!

Jason G BPL Member
PostedDec 18, 2013 at 6:27 pm

^^ is it worth the $650-$700(my guess) for a solo tent though?

JCH BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2013 at 8:27 am

A little extra space is endearing indeed!

After setting up and breaking down for 3 days in Olympic NP in pretty much constant rain, my Notch showed it's flaws. I quickly tired of trying to setup for the night with me and my (still fully loaded) backpack in that small space…a space that is perfectly wonderful except in those conditions. I longed for my Hubba Hubba where I could stretch out, unpack, pack up and generally not be confined or deal with gear stored out in a soaked vestibule.

Then Zpacks said, let there be Duplex…and it was good. Even shaved 5oz off the Notch weight. And yes, at least so far, it is totally worth the $$$.

PostedDec 19, 2013 at 8:54 am

Now trying to decide between a duplex and a triplex. I wonder what the weight/price difference is.

  BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2013 at 3:47 pm

The ZPacks Triplex information is now online.

Specs:

Tarp Dimensions:
Peak Height: 48″ (122 cm)
Ridgeline Width: 68″ (173 cm)
Width including vestibules: 101.5″ (257 cm)
Vestibule space: 20.75″ depth on each side (53 cm)
Length: 100″ (254 cm)

Interior Dimensions:
Peak Height: 48″ (122 cm)
Floor Width: 60″ (173 cm)
Floor Length: 7.5 feet

Weight:

The Triplex Tarp with taped seams weighs 10.4 ounces (295 grams)
The included guy lines and clips weigh 1.0 ounces (28 grams)
The sewn in Cuben Fiber bathtub floor and bug screen weigh 11.3 ounces (320 grams)
The included medium-plus 7″ x 13″ stuff sack adds .3 ounces (8 grams)
The total weight for the tent is 23.0 ounces (652 grams).

8 to 12 Stakes are not included. 8x Ultralight Titanium stakes, and a stake sack will add 1.6 ounces (45 grams), bringing the total packed weight to 24.6 ounces (697 grams). That is just 8.2 ounces per person!

These weights are as accurate as possible. Compare carefully! Many other manufacturers leave out seam sealing, lines, stuff sack, stakes, etc from their weights.

Hexamid Triplex Tent – $695
Hexamid Triplex Tarp – $425 (no screen or floor)

BPLwiia BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2013 at 5:08 am

"^^ is it worth the $650-$700(my guess) for a solo tent though?"

That answer is different for each person. I've blown multiples of that on clothes I didn't wear a lot or car tires that weren't what I thought or a weekend trip that didn't meet expectations.

The difference here is I know I would enjoy every moment in the ZPacks. If you enjoy it, outdoor gear is worth every penny you spend.

bjc BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2013 at 7:48 am

+1 on cost/enjoyment.

Bless my wife, when I showed her the price all she said was it was no more than 5-7 nights in a motel!

dirtbag BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2013 at 8:24 am

hahaaa..yes, bless your wife for sure, thats a great additude. When I buy something like that, I show the warden a recipt from an old $40 coleman tent!!! LOL.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...