Topic

Ultralight grill for fish, tortillas, sausages, etc.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight grill for fish, tortillas, sausages, etc.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I'm looking for an ultralight grill I can use with my emberlit wood stove.

Something without a massive amount of weight (obviously).

It would also be nice if I could use it to heat up tortillas and possibly make quesadillas…

I haven't been able to find anything decent to date.

I imagine I could just use a piece of aluminum foil under the tortilla along with the grill to prevent the tortillas from burning or catching on fire.

Thoughts?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Paging Gary Dunckel !

Mister Titanium.

–B.G.–

Rishi Sugla

@rksugla

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I'm not entirely sure about the feasibility of this, but you could probably buy 4 tiny carbon fiber tubes (or just use sticks) and then buy titanium mesh. If you can stick the four tubes into the ground, you can pre-drill holes on the sides sticking into the air, and attach the titanium mesh (perhaps with some type of cord?) and create a platform.

I can't say I've ever tried this (or if its what you're looking for) but it's probably the lightest set up if you're trying to bring a "grill" while backpacking. When you're done you could just roll up the mesh and stick it back into your pack.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Kevin, check out QiWiz.net. Rob makes the FireFly stoves, and I make the Mini Grills to fit them (and also regular size grills and supports/tent stakes called Stix). People have bought a Mini Grill and a set of Stix to support it over an Emberlit.

If you have any questions about these products, feel free to send me a PM. If you have any questions about Esbit, GPS systems, or trekking in the Himalaya, contact B.G.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I picked up some cooling racks at the dollar store. Light and cheap.

Something like this (but lighter):

http://www.target.com/p/calphalon-kitchen-essentials-cooling-rack/-/A-10941577?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C10941577&CPNG=Kitchen&kpid=10941577&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10941577&gclid=CNaLrMyXuLsCFTJp7Aod5TsAZw

I use it on a campfire using the rocks to hold it up.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"If you have any questions about Esbit, GPS systems, or trekking in the Himalaya, contact B.G."

Gary is my booking agent.

–B.G.–

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check out Lawson equipment: http://lawsonequipment.com/Backpacking-Grills-c129/

They're all under $20 and free shipping over $10. All his stuff is made in the US and he makes the best cords/lines. Have no experience with the grill, but it's a good price.

Jens Aarnaes
    BPL Member

@finnmark

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I have many times used safety wire wrapped around a forked stick as a grill. This wire obviously has many other uses but as a grill it is great.Backpack grill

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

so it seems my options are pretty open:

http://qiwiz.net/StoveAccessories.html

http://www.target.com/p/calphalon-kitchen-essentials-cooling-rack/-/A-10941577?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C10941577&CPNG=Kitchen&kpid=10941577&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10941577&gclid=CNaLrMyXuLsCFTJp7Aod5TsAZw

http://lawsonequipment.com/Backpacking-Grills-c129/

… I'm thinking of making my own 'stove' by just cooking on the ground and using titanium foil as a wind screen. a 24" piece of foil weighs just 30g and has a diameter of 7" … Though I admit that I might go a bit larger so I can have a real fire inside.

I need to look at my options here and figure out the right way to do this.

I suspect I can build a new setup for like a 40% weight savings which is much larger.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Or This ,although I like Gary's grill.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Now, in this holiday gift season, nothing warms the heart like a gift of titanium.

–B.G.–

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

purcell trench stream side packer grill or a ti packer grill. great product, great service

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Of course, for sausages this is the fun way:

http://www.rollaroaster.com/

Christian Denniston
    BPL Member

@davidulhike

+1 on the dollar store.

I have seen metal cooling racks at the dollar store that look like they would work great for some ultralight grilling. I haven't purchased up yet but maybe I will go out this week and report back. I'm not sure how long they would last but for only a dollar it is worth a try and I think they come in packs of three.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Purcell Grills are indestructible. I even regularly cook flat bread on on mine.

Derrick

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

" This wire obviously has many other uses but as a grill it is great. "

Yes !
    that is just SO the-way-to-do it.
    i carry it anyway to hang the pot and other stuff. i'm stealing your idea.
    Thank You.

cheers,
    v.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools