Topic

Mt. Massive – Mt. Elbert Loop, September ’13…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Mt. Massive – Mt. Elbert Loop, September ’13…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Belated trip report…My hiking partner and I did a loop of Mt Massive to Mt. Elbert near Leadville, CO in September.

We left from the Mt. Massive North TH, descended on the South towards Halfmoon Creek and camped the first night near the 4WD road leading up to Iron Mike's Mine. The next day we headed up the road to Iron Mike's and ascended to a saddle between Frasco and French.

We ascended French and then ridge walked and ascended Frasco. After Frasco we continued on to Casco…as we approached some weather moved in quickly and we sat out some hail and rain before the final push to the top. We didn't hang long as a storm was approaching, so we quickly descended to the saddle between Casco and Bull Hill and set-up camp for the night.

The next morning we ridge walked to and then ascended the coyly named Bull Hill, which turned out to be the toughest ascent of the trip, with some serious scrambling.

After Bull Hill we continued on to Elbert, a long but uneventful climb up the South ridge. We were a little disappointed in Elbert, lot's of trash, signs, a flag, business cards, etc…

We made the final descent down the N. Elbert trail and back to the car.

This was our 1st (and 2nd) 14er and was a trip full of challenge for a couple of flatlanders. We learned a bit and pushed ourselves, and the weather mostly held, other than the thunderstorm on Casco…overall a great trip.

-Mark in St. Louis

Massive TH

Massive Approach

Massive Summit

Massive Log

Massive Descent

Iron Mike's

French Route

Up French Saddle

Looking Down from French Saddle

French Ascent

French Summit

Frasco Ridge

Casco Approach

Casco Storm

Casco Summit

Ahead of the Storm

Ridge Camp

Bull Hill Ridge

Up Bull Hill

Bull Hill Up Again

Bull Hill Summit

Elbert Ridge

Elbert Summit

Elbert Descent

Massive End

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Mark,

That looks like a fun hike. I think I hit my target heart rate just looking at a couple of those scrambles and climbs!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Your photos brought back old memories of Mt. Elbert. It was my first 14,000 foot peak, and that was in 1975.

–B.G.–

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Thanx guys…This trip has definitely given us a bug. We just followed it up last week with a winter ascent of Quandary Peak and some LCW (in)action…trip report to follow shortly.

-Mark

Quandary Peak

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools