Topic

Lite Trail Solid Fuel System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lite Trail Solid Fuel System

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Custer

@nastynate

Locale: Tennessee

I've got a toaks 550 mug and esbit wing stove. Tonight I experimented with a tealight holder and Heet. 1/2 oz will bring 1 cup of water to a rolling boil and 2 cups to steaming with small bubbles on the bottom. Tealight sits right where the esbit tab goes. Weighs practically nothing.tealight

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Doesn't the Esbit gunk stick to these parts too and wouldn't that be kinda nasty to have INSIDE your cooking pot?"

If you look at the picture in the OP, the orange bag inside the pot is the bag for the stove that came with it. I don't know what it weighs as it doesn't register on my scale in grams or a fraction of an ounce.

In addition to what Nick said, I use a small amount of water to rinse out the pot before I heat up my water.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That's good to know Nathan. Adds some flexibility to the system.

I've never used a tea light as an alky burner. Does 1/2 oz fill it up or could you add some fiberglass for safety?

Nathan Custer

@nastynate

Locale: Tennessee

1/2 oz fills it to the brim.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Interesting guys, thank you, might motivate me to use some Esbit again.
    Duane

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

OK, so I'm not a Esbit person, but wanted to try it. Toaks had the CS-01 550ml set on sale for $52 and free ship. I figured that while it's not as light as the LT set, it would be a good starter for less $. I also got the Toaks 600ml pot for another use.

I like the Toaks pots, but the Ti windscreen that came with the CS-01 set is a flimsey, wrinkled POS. It will work, but I don't know how well and how long. I told Toaks about the problem and they sent me another flimsey, wrinkled POS windscreen. After some discussion, I concluded that they are all this way and just gave up.

This thread has sparked my interest in maybe upgrading my set with the LT V3 windscreen. I guess I'm asking specifically if this WS is worth $16 to those who have purchased or upgraded to the V3?

Thanks!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Dean,

It's a newly released item so obviously no one can comment as to its longterm durability. What I can say is that in comparison to V2, it's much better for me. The titanium feels slightly more robust but more importantly, the windscreen is wrapped next to the inside of the pot instead of snaking through the middle of it (check my OP pictures). My V2 windscreen is fine but is bent in a couple areas, all of which from what I can tell are from how it was stored in the pot. Doesn't affect its performance but obviously I felt that it was worth spending the money to upgrade to V3.

Again, I've only owned V2 for about six months and the V3 windscreen for a week so just my initial impression based on limited use.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

$99. I have enough systems, my trips now are about quality time with vintage stoves.
    Duane

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have the Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti stove fitted to a 3 cup aluminum pot.

In my experience this light system is still the most efficient for both alky and ESBIT cooking. For longer trips fuel weight savings "outweighs" cook system weight savings. A modified base for the "Gram Cracker" fuel tab holder allows the entire fuel tab, including the liquid residue, to burn. This gives max burn times per tablet.

Test the Lite Trail system against a Sidewinder 3 cup pot system and I'm sure the Sidewinder cone setup will be the most efficient.

Plus the Sidewinder with the optional Inferno gassifier woodburner insert makes the Sidewinder a 3 fuel system. I like it for winter camping B/C melting snow takes a lot of fuel and wood twigs are eadily available.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Eric,

I have the TD sidewinder paired up with an Evernew 600ml so fairly comparable capacity wise to my Lite Trail. I've thought about doing a side by side analysis of fuel consumption and performance but it in reality (for me) this wouldn't be a good use of my time and fuel.

My white whale is that I'd like to be able to boil a liter of 40* water with a single .5oz Esbit tablet. I've yet to accomplish this with either system. I'll concede that the TD is the more efficient of the two but by not enough of a large margin for me to worry about the difference. Both systems will heat up my dinner and give me my morning coffee with a single tablet so that's good enough for me.

Where the LT leaps ahead for me is that it's a mug instead of a flat pot. I could drink my coffee out of the Evernew 600 but don't really care to. Taking on even a 1oz penalty for a Styrofoam cup doesn't make sense in this scenario as that extra ounce equals two Esbit tablets.

Where the TD really takes the lead (in my opinion) is as a multi fuel system. In that regard, it's very difficult to beat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Never tried Esbit before..this thread has me somewhat curious to try it sometime.

I bought one of David Gardner's UL kits, which comes with an esbit holder…

What's a good place to get it cheaply at?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

REI, or else a lot of mom and pop backpacking gear stores.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

We have the former in these parts, but none of the latter that i'm aware. I cringe every time i hear that specific combination of letters in that sequence..

Usually means to me, prices i can't afford unless on clearance, garage sale, and occasionally "sale".

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Ian B.: Hopefully someone will have the thinner one at the GGG for comparison but I'm pretty happy with the kit and don't see any reason to swap out the mug.

Hey Ian, I can bring my Gen2 pot to the GGG. I can also bring the G2 and G3 windscreen as well.

Let me know if there is anything else you know I own that you would like me to bring. I don't have a lot of gear these days, can probably get it all into two backpacks… but I am more than happy to bring anything I got for you to play around with.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks john that's really nice of you to offer. From what I've learned from this thread, it looks like I actually have the thinner one. I didn't realize that it would come with the Toaks branding on it which threw me off.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

OK Ian, didn't know you had a Cone stove. Guess I was "preaching to the choir".

Look in SEARCH for recent ESBIT tab holder threads. Jon's tablet holder is very good.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools