Topic

Hats by our own Kat_P

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
PostedDec 16, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I recently received two hats custom-knitted for me by Kat_P. You can browse her wares here.
I emailed her my sizes and specified the material (baby-Alpaca and Merino) and the edge style (rolled edge) and color preferences, and a week later sweet hats were in my mailbox! The quality is excellent, and her prices are very reasonable. One of my New Years Resolutions is to support small business more in 2014, and you should too!

Since this is a gear thread I guess I oughta weigh them… *fumbles around looking for the digital scale* OK, my hat weighs 56 grams, and the one I got for Mrs. pitsy weighs 52 grams. Our heads are on the small side of average, so you big-headed mofos should expect slightly heavier results.

Ian BPL Member
PostedDec 16, 2013 at 10:39 pm

We have three. My daughter loved that she was able to pick her own custom colors and it's still her favorite. I made an error and ordered the wrong style; my son snagged it from me and, you guessed it, it's his favorite as well.

I love mine and it's in my pack for three season backpacking.

PostedDec 17, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I'll be ordering another hat for work soon, and hopefully talking her into knitting me a scarf. Next year, everyone in my family gets hats for Christmas!

Ian BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Based on her recent photo gallery, I think there's a market for hats with eyes knitted into the back of them.

Kattt BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Thanks Daniel and Ian.
Mountain lion proof hats…. Now there is an idea. I'd buy one too :)

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2013 at 11:13 pm

But you would want to make the hat with a special curve to it, a catenary curve.

You could open up the store for them in Catalina.

–B.G.–

PostedDec 18, 2013 at 9:31 pm

@Scree: Yeah, I got my order in just under the wire. The hard part was guessing Mrs. pitsy's size. I just walked around the house with my ball cap on talking about how handsome it made me look, and how awesome it was at keeping the sun out of my eyes and stuff. Sure enough, as soon as I took it off Mrs. pitsy was wearing it and impersonating me. I said, "Don't stretch out my hat, woman!" And she said, "Relax bro, we're the same size."
For the rest of my family next year, I'll take advantage of their love of competition: I'm gonna claim that my brother has the biggest head in the family at our next gathering, and just wait for my Dad's competitive nature to take over. In no time, I'll have a list of everyone's head size.
Yes, I am a genius.

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2013 at 9:51 am

Daniel, Diabolical…I like.

That sounds like a whole other idea for a thread – creative ways to get peoples measurements during the holidays without tipping them off. I ordered two black rock hats for my neighbors last week, and was annoyed I couldn't come up with any other method other than just bluntly asking for their hat sizes. At least now they are super intrigued.

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2013 at 10:35 am

"Mountain Lion-proof hats."

So…can an "eye" or "eyes" be knitted on the back of a beanie? LOL

I could use the security blanket, even if it is pure placebo, around here when hiking solo. If you did them ancient Egyptian style that might make them look more "stylish" for walking about town as well, but might may you look a little like a cult member.

Ian BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2013 at 11:58 am

Just thinking out of the box here but if we could get our hands on some titanium infused carbon fiber unobtanium thread and have Katharina knit hats like this, I think you could almost guarantee no fatal mountain lion attacks. Mostly because they'd be too busy laughing to summon the strength to attack.

.Mountain Lion Hat.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...