Topic

Alternative to Toothpaste Dots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Alternative to Toothpaste Dots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Adrien Baker

@adrienbaker

Locale: Kern County

My wife stumbled upon these for me at a cosmetic store called "Lush."

http://www.lushusa.com/Toothy-Tabs/toothy-tabs,en_US,sc.html

Lush is very generous when it comes to giving out samples for almost all of their products. So if you have one near by you can probably score a weekend's worth in a little sample container.

Adrien

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've read from multiple sources that brushing teeth without toothpaste is just as effective as using toothpaste, or baking soda for that matter. Is there any reason to bring along anything at all? It may sound disgusting to brush with nothing, but its effectively a .5 to 1oz weight that serves no purpose, if what I hear is true. Furthermore, there is reason to believe its fragrance could attract unwanted animals.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Adrien, thank you for mentioning this. I've been looking for an alternative to Archtek Toothpaste Tablets, which i can't find in Europe.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

toothpaste is no magic stuff. It adds some abrasion factor to the brushing but it is the brushing that does the job. Toothpaste is not strictly needed.

Adrien Baker

@adrienbaker

Locale: Kern County

I've read and heard the same about toothpaste. I've also brushed my teeth with and without toothpaste and I prefer with. It just feels more refreshing to me. I guess you could justify toothpaste as a morale item?

Adrien

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I think over months & years using toothpaste is the wisest option given it has flouride to kill bacteria and abrasives to clean teeth more thoroughly. Toothbrush only for a few days in the woods shouldn't hurt anything. Warning: I am not a dentist.

Ryan

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I asked my dentist about it, he said toothpaste makes very little difference, and for a week or two, not needed. I stopped carrying toothpaste some while back. No wondering where to spit it out, no worries about tubes bursting in the pack.

Dale Crandall
    BPL Member

@dlcrandall

Locale: North Cascades

Dr. Bronners liquid does teeth, hands, face, pot.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Just floss and rinse with water. Get your teeth cleaned when you get back from a long walk. But floss GOOD!

MW
    BPL Member

@mewe

I may be wrong, but I don't think the fluoride in toothpaste has any anti bacterial properties..

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

You're right, Megan. The fluoride in toothpaste (and many drinking water supplies) is to strengthen teeth, not to kill bacteria.

We've had a dentist post on the forum that toothpaste isn't necessary in the short term (a few weeks) for dental care – it's the brushing action that removes the food particles and plaque build up.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

Within my memory, most people used tooth powder rather than tooth paste. A lot of folks just used salt or baking soda and got by just fine. One can still get tooth powder, Google Eco DenT for one brand. A small zip-lock with a couple of grams of tooth powder will last two weeks and it leaves your mouth fresher than just using a brush and floss.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I've used tooth powder on multi-month backpacking trips, works fine. While it saves a little weight, the great thing is that repackaging it in a sort of microbottle that I bought somewhere like here ? (BPL), just a small and light quantity lasts me for months. So no resupply problems.

I admit that after using it for months at a time it feels like kind of a treat to use "real" toothpaste when the opportunity arises, but a pretty minor treat, not a big deal.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks Adrian for posting this. Looks like a viable alternative.

I tried using Dr. B's peppermint soap. Brushing my teeth with it is fine but I can't stand the aftertaste. I've started using unscented soap for backpacking due to bear concerns but haven't tried that as toothpaste substitute yet. TBC.

I have some tooth powder that works and is minty. Same bear concerns as above though.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

I've gone multi-month with nothing but the brush and nothing happened. I believe the hiking keeps your body as healthy as it can get, in general. Surely teeth get some benefit too. At home, I still use paste because of the refreshing effect and because it is there but I wouldn't miss it.

Nowadays I usually take an inter-dental brush when backpacking, much better than a toothpick and I like it better than floss.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools