I am attempting to decrease my pack weight. I tried "The Scout" from Big Agnes and it had too much condensation for me. I have always used a traditional tent for backpacking. I am currently looking at a canopy tent and bug net from Bearpaw Wilderness Design. Would this be a good beginning trasition to a tarp? Is there anything to consider when making the switch? I only have experience with traditional free standing tents.
Thanks
Eric
Topic
tents
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
I think the shaped tarp (and/or bug canopy/bivy/net) is the way to go for transition purposes. It really is a traditional tent just with lighter components. They feel no different, whereas, a bivy and flat tarp does feel a little more exposed – if you cowboy camp ever this won't matter. Anyway, check out the recent thread on the Zpacks hexamid and SMD bug biy. That's a great looking shelter for under a pound. Also the hybrid tents, Zpacks Solomid, or SMD Trekker/Skyscape X come to mind. Then there is also the Tarptent notch. A full double walled tent that will not have any condensation issues, and is likely 10% lighter than the big agnes you tried. I'm not familiar with the "Scout" model.
Become a member to post in the forums.

