Topic

Backpacking trip ideas – Palm Springs, CA area December.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Backpacking trip ideas – Palm Springs, CA area December.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

Hi everyone, best of the season to you all.

I'm heading down to Palm Springs to spend Christmas with family. I'm going to try and escape for a couple of days and would like some recommendations for an overnight trip [say 20 miles in total length]. Since I'm in the desert, I'd like to get some night photography/astrophotography in as well. Obviously, Joshua Tree NP is a contender so any recommendations for overnight trips there would be welcome.

Thank you …!

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I will throw the following at you simply as an option, but since you seem to be from BC it might be better to experience something less familiar to you like the desert. Yes Joshua Tree is an amazingly beautiful place, in its desert simplicity.

a mountain option from Palm Springs is to head up into a bit of snow in San Jacinto State Park. Either take the tram up and hike from there, or take the somewhat brutal Skyline trail up to top of tram then continue.

But Josh is very nice this time of year (it can be cold).

Mike R

@redpoint

Thanks Art. Actually, you're spot on b/c that was my first idea. It'll either be one or the other, but perhaps both if I can sneak away.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

JT is great for stargazing and photography.

There are few trails. Cross country hiking is most common. The northern part of JT is higher in elevation and bitter cold and snow is not uncommon in December. The southern part is lower in elevation and warmer. There is one entrance at the south, a couple in the north end.

JT Snow
    This is what the southern entrance area of JT looked like in Dec 2008.

Water (lack of) can be a problem.

However, I hike there a lot in winter.

Anza Borrego has lots of possibilities in December.

Regarding Desert Skyline… can become a mountaineering trip the last couple of miles if it snows and ices up. Ice axe and crampons required. Some people have difficulty navigating parts of it.

You might find something interesting in my Trip Reports page. I live in Palm Springs, but usually spend the last part of every December hiking in southern Nevada — more opportunities for longer hikes and water is generally easier to find. Enjoy yourself, whatever you choose to do.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

yes there seem to be few trails in the park of any length.
    there is the California Hiking and Riding Trail (which several of us ran last spring) but in my view it does not travel thru the most scenic areas.
    but in the upper portion there are numerous day hike trails.
    I'm very familiar with the upper park but have not spent much time in the lower.
    for a first timer who is photography oriented the numerous rock formations of the upper park may be quite interesting. you could camp in one of several camp grounds, or take a short over nighter.
    this central, rock laden part is popular with rock climbers and other visitors, but a half mile from the road and you won't see anyone, especially in winter.

Mike R

@redpoint

Any of you ever hike in the Coxcomb Range in Joshua Tree – looks awesome? Kind of thinking that I might head over that way.

Also, for those of you who know Palm Springs, is there a good hiking/camping store where I could pick-up a few things like fuel and freeze-dried meals. I'm batting zero with my quick online search … now if I was looking for golfing equipment, I'd be all set!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools