Topic

Help me make a Sawyer purchase please

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedDec 15, 2013 at 9:18 pm

For my wife and I. I've got a coupon to buy a few pieces at a nice discount. I'm going to order a few Mini's but wonder if the Squeeze offers any advantages for short trips where a base camp will be used for a couple days?

Also, for the Mini's I'm trying to figure out which dongle-bits to buy to use with platypus/evernew etc bladders. If anyone has advice to offer there I'm all ears

Edit: Further question: Can the Mini be used in camp as a gravity fed device to fill larger bladders?

Thanks!

PostedDec 15, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Mini will work great for all kinds of camp. But do take note that platypus threads are not standard and will leak when used with the Sawyer. However, evernew bottles will work fine.

You can set up a gravity feed pretty easily, just get a large bottle/bladder whatever, that will fit the Sawyer threads and just buy some food safe tubing for the clean end. You can buy one of those screw on adapter sets that comes with both male and female ends as well if you want to plug your clean tube into an adapter and screw it onto a clean/filtered water bottle/bladder (so you don't have to stand there and watch out for overflow).

I used some adapter bits to be able to use my regular Sawyer Squeeze in line with my hydration bladder if I want to, and when it's time to get more water, I just open up my hydration bladder, fill it up with water, and either gravity feed to clean bottles if in camp or drink straight from it. With the mini, since you have nipples at both ends, all you need is tubing or cut the existing tubing of your hydration bladder. However, with the adapters, you have the option of leaving off the filter and just screwing the tubing back together to use as a regular hydration bladder.

Just buy the adapter set from rei or somewhere and the proper size tubing and play around with set ups and find one that works for you or make it modular.

Sorry if there are a bunch of autocorrect errors. Typing this all on my phone with Google's gesture type.

PostedDec 16, 2013 at 4:01 am

Have you used the new platypus bottles? They work fine, the older ones didn't.

PostedDec 17, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Thanks for the replies here. For backpacking then has the Mini supplanted the Squeeze as the Sawyer filter of choice?

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2013 at 6:09 pm

For me, yes. Lighter weight and still has a very fast flow rate. Enough that I can easily drink(gulp) right from the Mini.

Ryan

PostedDec 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I use the mini attached directly to a water bottle for my more rigorous trips. For the more leisurely trips where I want a gravity filter for in camp, I use the original squeeze attached to a Platypus Hoser as a bladder setup. I use the sawyer inline adapters and mount the filter a few inches from the outlet of the hoser. I prefer the original squeeze with adapters for this because I can unscrew the platy and filter to quickly separate them from my drinking tube without have to unroute anything. I then stick a smartwater flip cap directly to the output of the squeeze for a gravity system.

Kind of hard to explain but hope that makes sense. I could use the squeeze mini similarly inline with the bladder and use it as a gravity as well, but I'd have to yard the tube off of the minis output nipple each time, which is far more lame then simply unscrewing it.

So for me, both filters have a strong place in my kits. Mini for fast and light hikes, original for when I'm sharing water or feeling lazy and want to drink out of a tube.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...