Topic

GPS for early PCT

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
PostedDec 15, 2013 at 12:04 pm

My friend and I are hiking the PCT northbound this April and having a wedding in Tahoe on June 28th. If the weather agrees (which we won't know till we reach the Sierras anyway), we would like to hike straight to the wedding. Most of what I read, suggests not leaving Kennedy Meadows till after June 15. I know this is more of a guideline than a rule, I just want to be prepared. I'm Planning on leaving Kennedy Meadows end of May/early June.

I have experience in snow, living in Vail, CO for the past couple years. A few thru-hikers that said going off trail is very common in the Sierras and even harder to navigate when there is snow. I know how to use a topo and compass but plan on fine tuning my skills before I leave. I have read that a GPS is not necessary for the PCT, but Piece of Mind says a lot and my buddy is getting one for X mas so I figured I would get some input. I only plan on using it for the 400 miles between Kennedy Meadows and S. Lake Tahoe, while we are on a strict schedule. Then I don't mind veering off trail. We have narrowed down our choices to :

(i) DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-60w S
&
(ii) Garmin 62s

How do you feel about these or any others you suggest. I also appreciate comments that I don't need one at all. Everything is appreciated.

Thank you,
emacthru-pct.blogspot.com

Link . BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Here are the answers people gave to your exact same question from yesterday.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...