Topic

New to BPL and learning.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Kevin S. BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I was an avid hiker/backpacker throughout the 90's – But ultralight then vs. now have two completely different meanings. Gear has come a long way. Biking is my other passion and short tours the last couple of years have motivated me to pick up some UL gear here and there. I am now at a point in my career and family that I can start planning a couple bigger backpacking trips a year. I also Just upgraded my mid 90's north face Blue Kazoo to one of Tim's EE revelationX blankets (just ordered yesterday). Now all (at least the essentials) of my equipment falls into the UL range – with the exception of my Gregory Reality pack – owned since the late 90's. I know it's a heavy one, but I still love it and plan on getting at least one more season out of it before I upgrade.

There really is a ton of great info and knowledgeable people on this site. Im looking forward to learning some new things.

HkNewman BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Feels great doesn't it? Why lug the weight if not needed and some of the UL stuff has such a low volume, a daypack could do for warmer temps. I owned the Gregory Reality … great, feature rich pack but lightened that up. If it works for you, so be it. On the other hand, a UL pack would help "preserve" your Gregory for when it is really needed. Not that BPL is gear-obsessed….

Thinking about my 1990's packs, the only thing left for some of these UL packmakers is to figure out how to put a zippered clear plastic map pocket on the lid of their 18 oz creations (theoretically of course) to replicate all the features of the typical 90's "bombproof" packs at only 20% of the weight.

Ed: add

D S BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Welcome Kevin….there are a couple good dudes doing hike/ bike trips that you may be interested in getting to know. Check through the "trip report" tab and check it out.

Couch

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...