This is the first project of mine that I have put up here. I hope you guys like it. It has been talked about before, but I think I have taken a leap forward toward perfecting it.
I am pretty sure this design addresses all the heat transfers and will be a super warm mattress as far as R value goes. I am going to be sewing one tomorrow our of some 2.5 oz/yd material that I found at Wal-Mart for $1/yd. (BTW Wal-Mart has Silnylon remnants for $1/yd. I got about 15 yds. in white, green, and olive drab._
Regular 12" balloons blown up to 6" or 8" allows for a TON of give with very minimal chance of bursting. The spherical shape of the lower layer also disperses a lot of weight. The top layer consists of the long balloons. Two layers allows for the reduction of convection and conduction. Mylar takes care of the radiation loss. (Thanks Ben!)
I found some balloon clips online that allow for the reuse of balloons over and over for just a few grams.
All in all, I think that I will be able to put this prototype together for less than 10oz. out of the 2.5oz. material. A total of 2.5 oz. for the balloons and clips and 7oz. for the fabric and Mylar.
As far as time to set up goes, I plan on timing myself putting up this and a Thermarest Neoair. From stuff sack to finish line. I will post the results. My plan is to get them on parity or within 3 minutes. A big thanks goes out to Ben (you know who you are.) And to Bill, whose MYOG has inspired me for some time. I think that balloons are a legitimate SUL/SUC AND a Super Ultra Objectively Better solution to expensive gear.
My goal is to make a balloon mattress that is objectively more efficient, has a higher R-Value, Almost non-existent cost (less than $15), and is just as Durable/reliable, and weighs LESS (hopefully ~7 oz. in the final form) than anything available on the market. I think it is possible and plan on pouring my resources into this project to make it happen.
Here are a few pictures: Enjoy!
Plans A La MS Paint:

The picture below shows Mylar inside a balloon. This is surprisingly easy to do. This helps stop the convection between your back and the ground and helps radiate heat back to you. Mylar can be seen inside the NeoAir Xlite serving the same purpose.
The only Engineering flaw I see is that after several uses the Mylar stops automatically expanding when the balloon is blown up. A little R&D is required here, though carrying a little extra Mylar wouldn't be that much weight I guess…


I'll keep you guys posted on this project.

