Topic

Hope someone can use this! Super Glue for Shoe Repair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hope someone can use this! Super Glue for Shoe Repair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I've been fixing some old shoes. I used the following:

Loctite Quick-Dry Gel Adhesive

Krazy Glue

Gorilla Glue

Gorilla glue was hands-down the fastest drying, longest lasting, and best holding.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Polyurethane glues (gorilla glue) are fantastic. You do have to watch for run out as the stuff foams up. That foaming feature also makes it a great gap filler. It would be cool to have little single use packets.

Do try some Shoe Goo as well, Max.

OMG! They are masking single use tubes now!

http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=single-use

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Thanks for the tip! I've been doing the same sorts of repairs — both recently, and for many years past.

For years I have been using Devcon slow-set epoxy (based on the recommendation of a cobbler) and these repairs don't fail. The shoe fails somewhere else, before the epoxy bond gives way.

I recently tried contact cement based on a recommendation, and it failed within the day. (Yes, I followed the contact cement instructions to the letter for dry times, etc.)

I've had bad experiences with Shoe Goo for reattaching soles. I find it works OK as long as I don't get the shoe wet. If I do, the bond releases shortly thereafter.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Attached are pix of my glue job on a pair of Merrell Bare Access that I wear daily for running on trails of dirt/mud, woodchips or crushed limestone and at work on concrete through pools of rainwater (with or without rock salt) or broken glass and spilled alcoholic beverages. This pair had the black sole sections glued back in place last spring…
    still solid!Non-foaming Gorilla Glue

scree ride

@scree

Good glue, but keep it far away from your animals. It expands when wet.

http://whatdoesitmean.net/a/11248~Ate_Gorilla_Glue-Is_Gorilla_Glue_dangerous_WARNING_GRAPHIC.html

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=super-glue

This is their "super glue", non-expanding formula, which was used on the shoes in the pix above and is described as impact resistant and perfect for repairing shoe soles. The foaming polyurethane Gorilla Glue would fail here as it is inflexible when dry.

I looked at the story of the dog who ingested the polyurethane/expanding glue and wondered why someone would leave the glue where a nine month old dog could get it. The puppy had already eaten a pile of staples so you would think that the owners would take care to ….. ooops, nevermind, sorry about the thread drift!‎

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools