Topic

GG Kumo Pack Cover?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
David Nelson BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2013 at 6:39 am

So I've looked and looked, and can't seem to find a pack cover that would specifically fit my GG Kumo.

Does anyone use one with this pack? Alternatively, the thought has crossed my mind that maybe I'm taking the wrong approach entirely and should be just using a pack liner, or water proof bags inside my pack.

Any insights or experiences you might share are much appreciated!

PostedDec 14, 2013 at 7:42 am

I'm certain the consensus here will tell you to run a pack liner. When I had a Kumo I started with a compactor bag which was ok, then later moved to a zpacks pack liner dry bag, which I was very happy with. Good fit and added a small degree of internal structure which made packing easier. Overally felt less hoaky.

David Nelson BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2013 at 10:40 am

Thanks. I suppose it's a question of preference. I can see the advantages either way. I'll probably go with a pack liner then. I kind of figured if GG didn't make one, they didn't intend for one to be used.

PostedDec 14, 2013 at 11:15 am

As has been noted, this is a personal preference. And yes, there is a lot of reading as far as pack liner vs pack cover’s go. Fact is, they each have their own set of pro’s & con’s. Ultimately though, as for what you want or use, it comes down to your specific needs & preferences.

Me personally, I use the LiteTrail pack liners that weigh in at 1 oz. This keeps my down items dry on the inside of the pack.

However, I love a front mesh pocket on my pack also, and obviously keep items in it. As a result, I like to also keep those items dry, so I also use a pack cover. Keep in mind though, I am using a pack cover to keep the items in the front pocket dry, as well as a majority of my pack. I don’t expect the pack cover to keep the contents inside totally dry.

I use a large ZPacks cuben pack cover that weighs 1.2 oz, including the stuff sack. I am ok with this weight penalty, considering the benefits it adds.

So, for the pack cover & the liner, the total weight is 2.2 oz, which is less than most pack covers, and even some liners, individually.

If you want something even lighter, the small size ZPacks pack cover is 0.8 oz (including the stuff sack), and the Lite Trail pack liner can be cut shorter, which will drop a little more weight.

Zpacks Pack Cover

LiteTrail Pack Liner

David Nelson BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Hey Chad! Thanks for chiming in. I've seen a bunch of your YouTube videos at one time or another, and in fact you were the one who helped me decide on the Kumo. Great videos! Always very informative.

I like your idea, and might consider doing that as I too like to stuff a lot of my smaller items into my outer mesh (10 essentials, layers, first aid, sawyer filter, camera, etc etc. Plus, it's occurred to me that if you like to use your pack as a pillow as I do, that a wet pillow would be of little use.

That's not too much of a weight penalty overall as far as I'm concerned, as I have room to eliminate that weight somewhere else at this point anyhow.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...