Topic

Solo vs. Twin cuben shelters

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Edward Jursek BPL Member
PostedDec 13, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I have ended up with 2 excellent cuben shelters, a Hexamid Twin and Duomid. Both are only a bit heavier then their solo counterparts and both offer huge gains in room, both in terms of floor space and head room, which I have ended up really appreciating. While a solo cuben shelter will produce a small reduction in weight, pack space and footprint, it seems like a big trade off in floor space and head room. I wonder if other people are experiencing the same thing, and moving away from cuben solo shelters to larger twin/duo size cuben shelters?

BPLwiia BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2013 at 5:37 am

I can't imagine what the market is for a solo cuben is at this point. As you point out, the marginal weight and volume is negligible.

What isn't negligible is the cost to add a second tent to accommodate another person.

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2013 at 6:28 am

From what I've gathered/learned, incremental weight gain. I'm trying to get close to SUL, may never get there though. I'm around 8 lbs. now, need to weight stuff again, I don't have a spreadsheet going. Everything has to be considered, a little here and there. My next area to lose a little more weight is a lighter kitchen and maybe lighter clothes and a smaller pack, at about 18 oz. now on my pack, looking to half that, at least for weekend trips. The clothes and kitchen won't get me far, but it is a little. I got a EE 30F quilt, so that may get me under 8 lbs. now.
Duane

Edward Jursek BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Duane – I am wrapping up an SUL kit myself but went with an SMD Gatewood Cape to cut shelter weight, rather then downsize to another cuben shelter. I looked hard at a cuben flat tarp, a Zpacks Solomid tarp and a MLD cuben Cricket.

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2013 at 10:17 am

Edward, isn't the GW cape about 11 oz.? I'll have to look again. I have a 4 oz. rain anorak. I don't use trekking poles, so I have to add in tent poles for anything I consider. I also need bug protection, the Sea to Summit bug net is about as minimal of protection I'm willing to go at the moment. I don't have a bivy, although that has been one consideration the last few weeks. Trying to hold off getting a new summer shelter to at least after the BPL gathering in late Jan. here in CA.
My fishing gear is almost 15 oz.
Duane

Joe S BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I'm not SUL, so i don't think I'd go lighter than the 10 oz of the SpinnTwinn and give up coverage for a few ounces. But to each his or her own.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...