Topic

Would silicone DWR spray damage Kevlar fabric?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Would silicone DWR spray damage Kevlar fabric?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Anybody know anything about this? Roger?

If not, might be a good way to help increase both UV and water resistance for some kevlar gloves so one doesn't have to use an over mitt or glove. After using the kevlar sleeves i have, found i really like the fabric so i want to get some gloves too.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There are UV protective sprays for tents and such. If it won't hurt nylon or polyester, I doubt if it would damage Kevlar. Keep in mind that people have built boats out the stuff, exposing it all the chemicals in curing epoxy.

It might make good butt, knee and ankle scuff panels in your pants too.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

No, it would not do any harm to Kevlar at all. But it would scrape off at the very first opportunity.

Fluorocarbon DWR binds much better to the substrate. Evcen Nikwax might be better – but remember that it is a wax and incompatible with all other DWRs. (Silicone is incompatible with fluorocarbon and wax too.)

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

as suggested by Roger, I used Atsko "Permanent Water-Guard", "Permanent Water & Stain Repellent" (both labels on can). Also has UV protection. I used hair dryer to activate, you can also put in dryer. Worked pretty good. On jacket.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, thanks for the info Dale, Roger, and Jerry.

Hmm, for some reason i thought silicone DWR was generally more durable than wax and even more so than fluorocarbon? (such as epic, houdini coating, etc)

Or, are you speaking of specific interactions between silicone and kevlar rather than in general?

Yes, i do remember not to mix any of these. Thought of silicone because of the UV protection. Does flurocarbon coatings also have UV protective properties?

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I believe the silicone being much more durable than other DWR treatments is only when the fibers are fully impregnated, like in silnylon. As for Epic, I believe they're also silicone impregnated fibers, but also have some sort of nano scale bonding.

Edit: my mistake, the nano scale stuff is for their nanosphere fabrics.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools