Topic

Warning about Backcountry Gear store

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warning about Backcountry Gear store

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

just wanted to let everyone know about what was surprising returns policy that http://www.backcountrygear.com has.

I bought a SmartWool shirt from them. I found that I didn’t care for it and got an RMA number from them to return it. To my surprise a few days later it shows up back at my house. They refused because it was “covered with dog or cat hair”.

It did have some hair on it but nothing that could not have been brushed off.

So now I am out the cost of the shirt and the cost to ship it back.

I haven’t run into this rigid a policy from a mail order place in many a years. Considering that Backcountry Gear can’t be considered in any a way a deep discount source, or even discount for that matter I would have thought they they would emphasize customer service, apparently not.

However you may feel about this, I think that everyone should be aware of this policy before doing business with them.

Caveat Emptor

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Mark,

I’m curious, you stated “nothing that could not have been brushed off.” Why can’t you brush it off; examine it closely thereafter (magnifying glass/lens???) & ship it back?

Not sure who you dealt with, but before shipping it back, call them again and as ask for “Doron”. Explain the situation, including how much use it saw (“like none”, or “only tried it on” – if that’s all the use it saw) & see what Doron says. I have found him to be very reasonable in a somewhat diff. cust. srv. matter.

If he tells you to ship it back, then make sure to put it clearly on the return label to his attention so that he opens it.

In my experience, over the last year+, BackcountryGear has been a good place to do business with.

Hope this info helps.

contentus emptor

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Yes, of course I could do all of that. And of course be out another five dollars for shipping. My point wasn’t what I had to do to comply with their policy. Tt was only that in this day when stores bend over backwards to accomodate customers many of us have gotten use to this. And here comes this big surprise that cost me money and frustration. Everyone should be aware of how rigid their policy is. Be informed customers.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

I am also curious. Why wouldn’t you have brushed off the hair before sending back? That responsibility should not fall on the seller! Buyers have to take some responsibility. When stores give money back guarantees the item is normally to be in new condition as purchased with all the original packing materials.

On the other hand for manufacturers defect, the maker or the seller would take care of replacement and accept the product as returned for repair or replacement (though if it is only going to be repaired the maker is in its rights to clean and charge for cleaning prior to repair).

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

I would have brushed it off if I had noticed it. I didn’t notice it. Maybe I have just gotten so use to living with dog hair I don’t even see it anymore. But there wasn’t much on there.

Thomas Travis

@tbtravis

This has already been discussed on another forum.
    I have bought from backcountry gear several times over the past 2 years or so and returned a number of those items for one reason or another. Never had a problem, in fact I like to buy from them because their customer service is excellent.
    Also their sales often have some really good buys.
    I am not associated with them in any way, I just kind of hate to see them get a bad rap when my own exerience has been so positive.
    Recently I ordered a Montbell Thermal sheet that happened to be on sale. They called me on the phone to tell me it was out of stock and then again a few days later to tell me it was ready to ship and confirm some special shipping instructions I had included in my original order. Almost every other time I have ordered from them my order has shipped the same day they recieved it.
    Pretty good service in my opinion.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

As I mentioned in my prev. post in this thread, I too have had good experiences with BCG. Yes…, “experiences” (plural). I’ve purchased a lot of gear from them. They can also special order from a mfr that they currently deal with. They call immediately (same day typically) if there is a problem with my order. You can call & place the order also, if you don’t like “shopping” over the web – just use the web to identify what you would like to buy & then call them. Ask for Doron or Eric.

I use the Priority Mail shipping option & get in stock items in 3 days typically (I’m in CT, they’re in, what…, Oregon or Wash, i think???). Also, you can get Sat. delivery with Prio. Mail.

One thing I would advise, based upon my experience, is: their website may indicate that an item ships in 24hrs, meaning that the item is “believed” to be in stock. That may be correct, & then again, it may NOT be correct & actually may not be in stock.

If you need an item quickly, always call first. I try to speak to Doron, or Eric. Though, in this case, anyone who answers the phone can do a stock check.

There is NO problem ordering something that is NOT in stock. I only mention it, b/c on occasion their website was incorrect as to whether or not an item was in stock (perhaps they sold the last one a few moments earlier??? the website may not perform realtime inventory updates???).

Like I’ve said, my experiences have been that this has been a good company to deal with. The minor errors on their website teach me to learn patience. I only mentioned it just in case someone was counting on getting something just in time for a weekend hike, or longer vacation trek. Don’t want you to be disappointed if it turned out not to be in stock when the webpage indicated that it ships in 24hrs. On the couple of occasions when this has happend to me (b/f i started calling to check stock availability), i rcv’d a phone call back from them within a few hours (same day) telling me that the item was not in stock & giving me options of how i would like to proceed (change order/substitute; ship in stock now, rest later; wait for all items& then ship). Very good cust. srv. indeed!! They do this even if one small item in a larger order is not in stock, or if i order six prs of size med smartwool liner socks & they only have four pr. in stock. A phone call, in this day & age!! Imagine that!!! Don’t know ’bout you, but i still like speaking to a real human being instead of reading a “canned” out-of-stock email.

BCG is one of my four main sources of gear. Gossamer Gear, BMW/BPL, & Campmor being the other sources. There are other small “cottage” industry type companies too that i could recommend equally, but I have made fewer purchases from them (like Mountain Laurel Designs and Wild Things, for instance – never had any problem with either of them – both have even done above excellent “custom” work for me with no problems whatsoever.).

Hope this info helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools