Topic

Best choice among the UL down jackets?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best choice among the UL down jackets?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I was going through the same exercise. I wish I was planning a thru-hike but that isn't in the cards until I retire. I am hiking the Wonderland this fall.

I went down to the Feathered Friends store and loved the way the Daybreak Hoodie fit. I prefer snug because it is a layering piece + sleep system extender. The only thing I didn't like about the FF unit was I would like more down (about 4.5oz)to extend it's warmth range.

I ended up ordering a custom made jacket from Goosefeet Gear. I don't have it yet so the jury is out but I'm hopeful it will be my "perfect" puffy.

Mine will be:

* 4.5oz. of 850 fill DWR treated down
    * Single zipper with backer so that it doesn't snag.
    * No zippers on the hand-warmer pockets… just elastic.
    * Simple sewn thru design using Pertex Quantum GL 10d fabric on inside/out.

This is the same material ZPacks using in their sleeping bags so it isn't for bush whacking. For me, it is camp/sleep gear and the compression/weight was more important.

I'm expecting it will come in < 11 ounces but we shall see. Price was what I consider reasonable for a one-off custom piece at $240 shipped.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I'll second (third?) the Uniqlo jacket. I don't doubt that the other brands have their merits, but it's hard to imagine that they're worth 3x or even 2x the price.

I'll also reiterate the advice to size down. I wear a medium in nearly everything, but a small Uniqlo puffy fit me better. Their customer service was great though, I ordered a medium at first and they paid for the whole exchange, including return shipping.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I have, and love, the Montbell UL, but I would suggest you move up a few ounces to the Montbell Alpine light. I have that one too, and find that it is a lot warmer for chilly nights than the UL. The UL is fine if it isn't very cool or you are moving around; once it's down into the 30's I'm wearing the Alpine Light.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools