Topic

Best DURABLE glove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best DURABLE glove?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ian,

The sleeves i have are 100% Kevlar fabric. I originally picked them up for motorcycle riding, but they are sold for protective wear for like factory workers that come into contact with sharp stuff, people that work with high heat, etc.

I'm not talking about kevlar lined leather gloves, but 100% kevlar fabric (usually yellow colored).

I quickly checked amazon and yes there are several pairs of 100% kevlar gloves.

Two added benefits of kelvar besides the high tensile strength and abrasion resistance, also high heat resistance and because of the super low thermal conductivity, in the right weave or knit they are quite warm for the weight.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"I quickly checked amazon and yes there are several pairs of 100% kevlar gloves. "

They seem to be inexpensive too so if they work out, there's a lot to love about them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Everything but the UV degradation. I suppose if you wanted to use them for serious outdoor use, then perhaps a thin over mitt or glove would be a good idea. I don't know what intensity of UV needs to take place for it to significantly break it down, but any kind of outer fabric or shell over same should effectively protect it from that problem.

The kevlar sleeves i use, are usually under my windshirt, so i'm not concerned at all about UV damaging the material.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I like leather glove shells too for durability and using around the fire. I buy the Wells-Lamont insulated gloves and cut out the liner. I'm currently using the pigskin model. I use military surplus wool liners so that I can remove for drying. They're going to be wet due to being leather, and that's why wool is the ideal liner for these. Have a second pair of liners, and keep one dry or drying.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Treat them with bees wax or some similar leather waterproofing compound. They'll last a lot longer and not get wet quite as quickly as untreated leather.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm thinking more of a light glove temps to a little below freezing. We had a week of temps in the mid-20's F and my light Seirus Hyperlight All Weather gloves were fine for basic insulation and wind protection. I have great shell gloves for wet weather, so leather isn't a deal killer.

Driving and trekking poles are the contributing factor to wear; runners and those who hike without poles can get by with anything they like. My gloves haven't failed, but after some very moderate use they are starting to pill on the fingers where there is no pleather reinforcement.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Perhaps the Rab VR Tour glove? Or a Extremities Windstopper Guide Glove? And I know where you can get them cheap…..

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
    Ryan Bressler
    BPL Member

@ryanbressler

I get cold hands easily compared to some but I found that unlined leather gloves like those rabs or the work gloves would leave me with cold fingers after a day of ski touring in the cascades in near freezing conditions even with ample and regular snoseal application…durability is good and I've used them a ton for shorter biking and mixed climbing sessions and been happy (and worn out pairs of the work glove versions splitting wood etc). I'd need to size them to go over a liner and the skinny finger fit makes that hard.

For me wind pro or hardface fleece is a good middle ground for a light weight hiking glove as it adds some abrasion and water resistance to the fleece fabric but still insulates and breathes well. A wide spread grippy pattern like on the rab or eddie bauer windpro gloves have on the palm also adds some durability…my wife and I both have some several year old rab Hardface gloves (replaced by the windpro glove) that are going strong while powerstretch gloves form BD seem to fall apart rather quickly.

Kincos cold weather work/ski gloves are also super burly but much warmer. Great if you ski at an area with a rope toe.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

David wrote, "Those BD gloves are horrid. The velcro wrist closure is super stiff and chafes like mad."

Got them in the mail yesterday and I'm afraid David is right. And the stitching on hte wrist band was coming loose right out of the box. I just asked BD for a return authorization.

I like the finger construction and combination of leather and synthetic. As expected with a belay glove, this is mostly leather with just the back side in fabric.

You get what you pay for.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

thats surprising … i know several people with those gloves and ive used theirs as well

and as i said, one of my partners uses hers for hours on end … and used them trekking in the amazon and the andes without issue

hmmmmm

you should probably avoid Mechanix style gloves as well since many of them have a similar velcro closure at the wrist …

;)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Eric, it could be that they made changes in the glove. I have used all kinds of mechanics gloves with no problems and I'm not all that sensitive to clothing chafing, but the pair I got are pretty rough. I tried on some very similar Petzl gloves that were much better. So it goes!

Black Diamond Crag gloves

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

that loose thread is normal on many outdoor brands …. ive found stuff like that on montbell, dead birds, patagucci, MEC and other clothes

the ONLY brand i havent found loose threads on is westcomb …

you should probably go into a store and try on every glove … other than shoes and packs … gloves are probably the item where fit is everything …

climbers know this and go into a store trying ever pair on … i also bring a length of cord and make sure i can tie all my knots with the gloves on

;)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Loose threads that haven't been clipped after finishing are one thing, but the perimeter reinforcing on a wear point is another. It's sloppy. Granted, they are $20 list and designed for short term use when belaying, so like I said, you get what you pay for. It's all your fault, Eric ;)

I've gone through all the gloves at REI and another store and sought input here. Seirus makes the All Weather in a version with a full leather palm and that may be the way to go.

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi,

Anyone using these:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5033-599/black-diamond-dirt-bag-gloves-unisex/?h=10+50089+50020+50111&f=10+50089+50112

Whats not to like? Too heavy, cant pull the liner out for drying..same stuff but cheaper with fleece liner glove+deerskin leather overglove mentioned in the thread..?

Cheers!

Ryan Bressler
    BPL Member

@ryanbressler

Those BD dirt bag gloves are essentially a copy of the Kinco work gloves loved by dirtbag skiers:

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Gloves-Kinco-Ski-M/dp/B0013FE6PQ
    http://www.amazon.com/Kinco-Pigskin-Leather-Gloves-Weather/dp/B0026KXR0C

Flylow makes/rebrands some similar models too:

http://flylowgear.com/shop/accessories/gloves.html

I've used the both the Kinco versions I linked as down hill ski/wood splitting glove and they are great but too warm for intense hiking/skiing uphill for me. I normally use them without a liner but now that hey have packed out a bit I was playing around with using them over a power stretch liner and it seems to work well for colder days. I used the leather back one for rainy cascades skiing with ample sno seal. The leather back version has a double palm/front so it is quite burly but less dexterous.

For lighter trips I have more tech gloves/mittens/liners but if you're abusing your gloves a ton the the kincos are great and the BD version does have a nice clean look though it is a bit more spendy.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Dale,

I know it was touched on in this thread but have you tried Mechanix (brand name) gloves? They should have them at your local auto parts store.

I'm seeing more and more cops/shooters using them for many of the same reasons that they would be good for backpacking in that they are tough enough to protect your hands, light enough for work which requires finesse, and inexpensive. There are a few varieties out there.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools