Topic

Just ordered a couple of these cheap cups for potential use as a pot, anyone else used one?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Just ordered a couple of these cheap cups for potential use as a pot, anyone else used one?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

I found these apparently very light (3 oz listed) stainless steel 32oz cups on Sierra Trading Post: Jacob Bromwell Classic Stainless Steel Cup – Large, 32 fl.oz.

Just wondering if anyone else had used them? From the reviews and specs I'm guessing the walls will be really thin, and the handle might be garbage, but it looked like it might work well over an alcohol or esbit burner, which I've been meaning to start playing with again. For such a low price, I figured it'd be fun to mess with. I'll post some pics when I get them.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Sorry about that. I ordered yesterday and pasted the link from my email. Didn't occur to me to check if they were sold out.

Here's the same thing on Ebay for a lot of 6: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jacob-Bromwell-Original-Classic-Non-Embossed-Large-Tin-Cup-/271233929669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f26cd51c5

Ebay link had dimensions:

Dimensions:
    4.25 wide x 4.0 tall (in inches)
    Holds 29.63 fluid oz. or 3.7 cups

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Daiso stores carry several sizes of very similar mugs. They are basically a stainless version of the IMUSA mugs.

I think they would be great for families and Scouts who are always on a tight budget.

Aside form the IMUSA mugs, the next step up is the GSI Space Saver mugs, now offered in clear and hard anodized aluminum as well as the original stainless steel.

I saw those, put them in my cart and waited too long :(

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Your cup/gear knowledge is impressive! I hadn't seen those IMUSA cups or heard of Daiso. Thanks.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Jim H, please lust know the actualy weight when you get yours. I find it hard to believe a 32oz mug made of stainless weighs 3oz. but stuff happens.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

IMUSA mugs come in 10cm and 12cm sizes, sometimes found at Wally World. Non anodized or coated– just plain aluminum, cheap and light. They are in the Pantheon of cheap and light gear with the Stanco Grease Pot and recycled water bottles.

In the Seattle area there are Daiso stores in the International District, Westlake Center and Alderwood Mall. They have cheap resin Croc-off shoes (if your feet are small), stainless cups, thin plastic cutting boards and all kinds of other stuff to snag your wallet for $1.50 each.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

(edited to fix pic resolution)
    My cups were waiting for me this afternoon. Fast delivery! Initial impression is that they're pretty cheap, but they were also very inexpensive, so it's about what I expected. Weight is 3.2 oz, very thin walled, and the "weld" on the handle looks like I could pop it off if I tried. Still, I really like them at first glance.

The MSR 8oz fuel canister *just* fits in the cup. It's actually a perfect fit, maybe too much so, as a little bending in the cup walls or rim might make it not fit. For use as a pot, handle durability might be an issue, but we'll see. Hopefully I'll get some time to play with it on a supercat soon. The bottom is perfectly flat, so it should seal well.

4 pics:

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Thanks for posting pictures and weight.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I searched the Jacob Bromwell site and there is no idication that they manufacture that stainless steel cup.

http://www.jacobbromwell.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=stainless steel

Bromwell is noted for it's "quality" USA made products.

The 32oz cup must be an import uder the guise of Bromwell "Style"

It's still not available.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

They have them back in stock again.

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

Please don't turn this into a ethics with counterfeits thread like the Ebay windshirt thread.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Why not?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Oh it's on!

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I tried to purchase two but received an error message that only one was available, so I got one. I like the idea of a really thin SS pot with handle. :^) Someone needs to find a really light lid.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That mug is pretty sweet. I have a MSR Alpine Pot in steel which I really like but it never sees any use due to its weight.

I can't believe that for something just under a liter, with a handle, and in stainless steel, that this comes in at 3.2oz. I'd probably just grind the handle off anyways presumably bringing it under 3oz.

While Dale is the local SME on all things water container, I have to give Shug credit as the poster child of the Imusa "Hillbilly Pot."

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

These were back in stock last week and I ordered one…now they are out of stock. My initial impressions is that it has about as much give as an imusa cup, maybe slightly stronger. It is 3.2 oz. With a coupon I paid $4 shipped free to the store…

If you are looking to score one, create an account at sierra trading post, and go to the page and click on the "my updates" sold out area on the page and sierra will email you when its back in stock. I have used the my updates thing before and found it to be reliable.

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have one of these cups that I bought in Chinatown a few years ago, and I actually did pop the handle off. Unfortunately that left a hole in the side of the cup, which is now relegated to holding pencils on my desk. So don't just pry the handle off like I did!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Ive got one apparently a bit smaller, holds a small cannister in side. Holds 2cups, weighs 2.05 oz.

Local flea market has them sometimes

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools