Topic

New England Traverse: Discovering a Wilderness Route

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable New England Traverse: Discovering a Wilderness Route

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

John,
    Nice route you have there from the Big Apple to Quebec as directly as possible, yet fairly forested and remote as well.
    It is fun to plan out long routes, and then hike them whenever you can get away.
    Best Wishes for Good Hiking.

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

Nice report and a wonderful introduction to this traverse. I may have missed it, but I did not see that total mileage or an approximation of the same. Let us know.

Thanks again,
    Rodney

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Having spent a week in New England last year and not having been there since I was a child it was a great eye opening experience to witness just what a beautiful landscape exists there. Your article highlights the vastness of the trail network and inter connectivity among the Wilderness and natural areas in a way that I truly didn't understand.

I greatly appreciate your attention to both the existing infrastructure as well as the attention you paid to how tenuous this is in light of the future development inherent alongside such a large population, John. Continued promotion of these open spaces and highlighting their importance will be a task for the present and future generations into eternity.

Jeffrey List
    BPL Member

@jlist

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice linkup of trails, but given the title of the article it wasn't what I expected. New Jersey and New York are not in New England, and the route doesn't hit both the highest terrain in New England (New Hampshire) and the arguably the most remote (Maine). Seems like the most obvious "New England Traverse" would be to simply start at the NY/CT and follow the AT to Mt. Katahdin in Maine, and then continue to the Canadian border on the International AT. The route only skips one New England state: Rhode Island.

Luke Stollings
    BPL Member

@lstollin

border to border, not boarder to boarder. You're not surfing, after all!

Thanks for putting this together!

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

"With the continued urbanization and deforestation of America there is now a need more than ever to protect these environments."

I'll be the first one to decry habitat destruction and our political failure to protect even more wilderness areas.

But it is inaccurate to suggest that we have been experiencing deforestration in the Eastern USA.
    http://www.nature.org/newsfeatures/natures-comeback-eastern-us-forests.xml

Yes, there was horrendous deforestation following colonization by Europeans. But in the last century we have seen a significant reforestation. Little of it has become wilderness and too much of it is urban sprawl. But the fact is that there has been a net reforestation rather than deforestation in that region.

Although some research is indicating that the trend may be reversing somewhat.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=us-eastern-forests-resume-decline

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools