Topic

FS: Ultralight and Super Ultralight Saws – Free Shipping to BPL members

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals FS: Ultralight and Super Ultralight Saws – Free Shipping to BPL members

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Ultralight and Super Ultralight saws for sale. Free shipping to BPL members in the US until 1/1/14; will deduct US shipping cost from international orders also until 1/1/14.

Great for cutting firewood and trail maintenance. Compare to 5.5" Gerber folding pull saw at 3.1 oz and 5" Coast folding pull saw at 4.2 oz.

Weights shown in pictures include saw teeth protector and sheath.

Listed times are based on my cutting the same test fir 4×4 with each saw.

drilled

Modified Fiskars 15" pruning saw with drilled handle and back of blade sharpened into a knife – 4.7 oz, 44 seconds – $25

hollow

Modified Fiskars 15" pruning saw with hollow handle – 4.0 oz, 44 seconds – $30

basswood

Modified Fiskars 15" pruning saw with basswood grip – 4.4 oz, 40 seconds – $35

japanese

Modified Japanese 10.4" (265 mm) pull saw with basswood grip – 1.9 oz, 44 seconds – $35

new corona

Modified Corona 13" pruning saw with basswood grip and back of blade sharpened into a knife (my favorite) – 3.1 oz, 34 seconds – $35

forester

Modified Forester 13" pruning saw – 4.0 oz, 24 seconds – $35

[Edited to list weights in photo captions]
    [Edited again to show new Corona saw]
    [Edited to include deadline]

M B

@littlelite8

Very nice. What are the sheaths made out of?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

The sheets are made from thick plastic report covers. The teeth protectors are made from the spines that come with them. Not sure what type of plastic it is.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

David,
    Super impressive! Once I saw your R&D thread about these, I was curious how quickly you'd put them into production. Very well done.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

David, very very nice work. Functional and very good looking.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Thanks everyone. I have sold the Modified Corona 13" pruning saw with basswood grip. All the other saws are still for sale.

I can custom-make more Modified Corona 13" pruning saws with basswood grips, but it will take some time to order the new materials and fabricate.

Nick O
    BPL Member

@ftballman125

pm sent!

Nick O
    BPL Member

@ftballman125

and payment sent.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Thanks again. The Modified Japanese 10.4" (265 mm) pull saw with basswood grip has been sold.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Will there be any more Modified Coronas or Japanese available?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Yes. I just ordered some more Corona Blades to modify, which will ready in a week or two. I can also order more Japanese blades for those who want them. Same lead time.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The saws look great David. I might buy one from you when the GGG comes around.

Nick O
    BPL Member

@ftballman125

The saw looks and works great. And it's crazy light. With a little duct-tape on the edges of the blade cover, I was able to do away with the plastic saw cover. Thanks!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Glad you like it. There's more where that came from!

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio

David,

Just sent a PM and funds for a modified Corona 13" pruning saw.

Thanks!
    Roger

Greg Cullison
    BPL Member

@gcullison

David,

Great saw! I woke up this morning to find a tree limb had fallen from the tree in the yard. Yippee!! Got to try out the Corona! Cuts quick and easy. The limb was only about 2.5" in diameter, so it took literally seconds. Sharp!

Thanks again!

Greg

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi David,
    with the sheat on is it safe to put the saw inside your pack? I mean does it come off easily?
    Thanks!

Cheers

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Velimir,

It is safe to put a sheathed saw in your pack. The sheath does not come off the saw unless you want it to, especially when packed. The teeth protector plus the sheath gives double protection.

Of course the ultimate safest way to pack one of my larger saws is on the outside of your pack, like inside a pocket flat against the body of the pack, across the top of your pack, rolled into a foam sleeping pad if you use one, or similar.

-DG

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I admire your ingenuity. How do you attach the basswood handles?

Keepin' it light at: QiWiz.net

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

I attach the basswood grips with epoxy glue against the metal, then dip in Plasti Dip to enclose and bind everything. Sort of a belt and suspenders approach.

Thomas H
    BPL Member

@pth

Dang I could have sworn the title said 'straws'. I was about to revert to thinking this place is a little too hardcore for me after all again. Those saws look nice though.

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

Use of straws on BPL…
    diy firestarter
    flexair pillow
    filter
    other ?

and back on topic
    I'd like to get one of the japanese saws, I don't want something too long to put in my pack.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools