Topic

Interest in a down vest

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
PostedDec 10, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Just putting out some feelers to see if people would be interested in another down vest on the market. After seeing how well the down pants we released recently were selling, we decided to eventually move towards a down jacket (hopefully before the new year!) that is looking to weigh in with a finished weight of about 5oz.

The other day I was making another prototype, and before I sewed the sleeves on I thought maybe I would forgo them, and just sew on some edging to make a vest. It was a size medium, and with the 1.8oz of 850 water resistant down, weighed in at 3.95oz.

Anyways, if I thought people would be interested, I would put it up on the website for sale soon.

I'm thinking about $109.99, too high?

Let me know what you think, and here is a picture of another prototype I whipped up this morning:vest

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedDec 10, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I have no interest because that would deprive me of the experience of making it myself, but

Is that enough down? What's the loft? Seems like it won't be warm enough, but anything will be warm enough for some temperature. Seems like if you added an ounce it would be more useful.

Why is the bottom baffle not as wide as the upper baffles?

Since the zipper isn't full length, you can't unzip to ventilate when it's warmer. I guess many people like the half length zipper though.

PostedDec 10, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Lower weight, more fill, lower price compared to a montbell ul vest. Whats not to like? I would buy one.

todd BPL Member
PostedDec 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm

John,

Given your reputation for quality, I think this vest will sell at your initial price.

Regarding Jerry's questions, I assume it being a prototype answers the baffle size question. And regarding the loft, it appears at least as lofty as my beloved Montbell products!

Looks great!

Steve K BPL Member
PostedDec 10, 2013 at 7:21 pm

It's too bad your vest wasn't an option when I bought a down vest… seeing as it's half the weight. I think your suggested pricing is fair.

PostedDec 10, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I like to carry one 7-8 ounces hooded down jacket. It's a perfect combo for a quilt because of the head warmth.

PostedDec 10, 2013 at 7:59 pm

i personally won't ever carry a vest. for me, in central PA, if it's cold enough for a vest, then it's cold enough for a jacket. i prefer to have sleeves. that's just my personal preference…

BPLwiia BPL Member
PostedDec 10, 2013 at 8:34 pm

John, kindly excuse my ignorance but what down pants do you speak of?

PostedDec 10, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Interest is high. Thats pretty much exactly what I would look for in a UL down vest–about %50 fill weight, half zip, and a high collar and elastic hem to seal out drafts. Price is right, too. Although for 1 oz more I'd be very tempted to get a pullover jacket with a similar design and slightly more fill.

PostedDec 11, 2013 at 12:16 am

Cool. Right now I have three items on my UL gear wish list, and one is either a down jacket or a down vest. I'm leaning towards vest because it seems to be more versatile than say a hooded down jacket, especially if you use a windshirt (which I do).

I will mos def keep an eye on Borah in the future. I am also way more inclined to support small indie shops, and encourage everyone to do the same.

Ben C BPL Member
PostedDec 11, 2013 at 8:15 am

Looks pretty nice to me. I see no need for a full zipper on a puffy like this. Since I am wearing it only in camp or in my bag, overheating is rarely as issue.

I have a Stoic jacket that uses snaps instead of the zipper. I have really like it. It keeps warm and has none of the neck/chin abrasion that is sometimes irritating with a zipper.

PostedDec 11, 2013 at 9:03 am

On a vest or jacket, I like a full zipper and a large inside pocket just above the hip belt on my week side to stuff mittens, ski skins etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...