Topic

VAPOR BARRIER CLOTHING

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) VAPOR BARRIER CLOTHING

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Does anyone know of a source, aside from RBH, for vapor barrier socks and gloves size large? I do not seem able to find the ones that Integral and Climb High used to sell. Right now I am using the disposable plastic bags that some buildings and stores have for customers to put wet umbrellas into

Thanks

Kevin (Paddy)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Sunbeam
    Wonder
    Bunny
    Natures Own

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Sais it many times here. Thin neoprene diver's socks make teh best and warmest socks.

BUT they must be seam sealed with a good sealant like Shoo Goo or urethane tent seam sealer. Rub the sealant in well, let dry thoroughly an add a second layer.

M B

@littlelite8

Just picked up a pair that arrived today in the mail. Construction is nice and feel comfortable for what they are.

Hope to get them out this weekend.

Price is right too. $10 shipped to me. Not bad.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Thin neoprene diver's socks make the best and warmest socks.

The recently recently mentioned Adirondack Mountain Club's Winter Mountaineering School Handbook gives that a qualified endorsement:

Insulating Socks:
    Experienced hikers almost always use two pair of socks – one thin pair of liner
    socks and one thick pair of insulating socks. Some use three pair of socks: a thin liner, a slightly thicker middle sock and a thick insulating sock. In a three layer sock system, some staff members use neoprene socks as the middle layer. See note on
    neoprene socks in the section on Vapor Barrier Liner

Here is the note from the VBL section:

Note that waterproof breathable socks or neoprene booties ARE NOT acceptable since water vapor will pass though and get your insulating layers wet, defeating the purpose of VBL socks.

I THINK they are meaning to say that neoprene is not acceptable as the VBL … but would work with a suitable VBL inside them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools