I'm working on a stove project and would like to know the spacing used on Caldera Cones. I can deal with the measurement from either pot bottom to ground or pot bottom to stove top. Thanks!
Topic
Caldera Cone stove to pot spacing?
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Dale, I'm away from my gear. I have three CC setups. Both the .9 and .6 pots have the same height cone. The .6 works very well too. Just a heads up incase you think there is a optimal height, at least by what I have.
Duane
Fuel type? Here is a link for esbit stove to pot height.
http://thru-hiker.com/articles/esbit_stove_height.php
I went with 1.25" on my 12cm IMUSA and MYOG cone so I could max out the cone coverage and still fit the cone in my pot for storage. Boil time for 3 cup H2O is approx. 8+ min with a 14g esbit tab.
The burner-to-pan spacing will depend on what burner you're using.
If using a chimney stove (like the 12-10 or similar), then I find the spacing should be about 1.25", as Gerald says. I think that's the actual spacing used by Trail Designs, too.
For a jetted burner like a Trangia, or a classic 'drinks can stove', then I'd go for a 1" gap; this is what Trangia do.
Finding the optimal gap is interesting, and tedious, and requires a lot of testing to determine the best efficiency. You also need to consider the combustion, and what combustion products are being produced; too small a gap can lead to 'quenching', giving unburnt fuel & partial products, and reduced efficiency. This can often be detected by a rather sweet, sickly smell.
One way to find out what an alcohol burner should smell like is to run it with no pan over it, and no windshield around it; it should be warm and damp with very little smell.
That's my experience, anyway…
Understood. I have a 12-10 burner and wanted to know what trail designs was using for spacing as a starting point. Thanks for the info!
Become a member to post in the forums.

