Topic

Conversion-1 person bag to 2 person quilt

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedDec 9, 2013 at 9:03 am

Many years ago I added a 5' X 6', uncoated ripstop, zip out liner to my 1 person Feathered Friends bag so my wife and I could use it as a 2 person quilt.

x

x

Yellow is the bottom uninsulated side and blue is the original sleeping bag. This zip out liner weighs about 7 ounces. So for an additional 7 ounces of weight this one person bag can be converted to a 2 person quilt.

If one wanted something like this on a permanent basis it would be lighter to rip out the existing bag zipper and simply sew the uncoated nylon directly to the bag. The net weight of this modification would be about zero if something like .7 ounce per sy fabric was used because it would weigh about the same as the deleted bag zipper. So one would have (for this bag)a 2 pound two person quilt.

What Worked Well
(1) The yellow bottom fabric made it easy to pull and retain the sides of the sleeping bag close to our bodies.
(2) There were no drafts coming into the bag from the sides
(3) I left the yellow piece unconnected at the bottom so I could stick out my typically too-warm two feet,

What Didn't Work Well
(1) We would get drafts around the head and shoulders.

We found that we didn't like sharing a bag and I couldn't seem to solve the shoulder draft problem so this project hit the shelves. But may be it would just right for you?

PostedDec 9, 2013 at 10:30 am

Looks like a really neat idea. I might have to give something like this a try on an old syn snugpak sleeping bag I have in my cupboard.

Amy Lauterbach BPL Member
PostedDec 10, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Daryl,

Don't give up due to the shoulder draft problem. The neck area of our Love Bird Quilt really works to stop those drafts. You could add a pleated neck piece to your quilt and give it another try. Actually, before making our quilts from scratch with the pleated neck section integrated into the design, we added a pleated collar to our prior quilt (which was a converted Nunatak BackCountryBlanket).

The design of the neck section is shown in detail in one of the comments in this thread (which I know you've seen, but I'm including the link here for others.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=67875

Amy

PostedDec 10, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Amy,

Thanks for the reminder of that great post and those projects.

After re-reading it my reaction is the same as it was then:

"I'm blown away by your skills and patience on these projects"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...