Topic

Custom Rutalocura Multipurpose Carbon PoleStaffTenkara

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Custom Rutalocura Multipurpose Carbon PoleStaffTenkara

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

There have been some recent posts regarding the best option for a pyramid pole, especially for those who don't use trekking poles. This is my solution!

I am not a trekking pole user but after buying a my first pyramid tent (HMG Ultamid 2) and deciding I wanted to try Tenkara fly fishing, I picked up a pair of the Rotalucura 3 piece carbon poles and the Clarkii Rod attachment. Despite my misgivings about their durability I picked these poles for their functionality and weight. The bottom section of one pole inserts into the top of the other pole to make a very strong and stable tent pole, and the top two sections of a pole are designed to double as tenakara fly rod handle.

My only use for a trekking poles otherwise is to use while fording rivers, which I do quite a bit usually with a 50 plus lb pack. Most of my hiking is off-trail wilderness hiking. 3 hours into a planned 15 days trip the first pole snapped while fording a river. 3 days later the second snapped. I wasn't surprised. These poles are clearly designed for trail walkinghiking, not for full body weight support.

Despite their failure I liked their design and functionality so much that I approached Josh at RL to build a custom polestaff to meet my 3 needs:

1. Staff for crossing rivers;
    2. Tent pole for Ultmaid 2; and
    3. Handle for Clarkii Rod.

The result was a 59", 3 piece carbon staff, that is adjustable to 66 plus". I find 60" length convenient as I often have to extend to reach a stable point when river fording. It is made of 0.6" carbon stock and the pole breaks down to 3 ~21" lengths with the hiking pole insert being contained in the lower section and the clarkii rod being stored in the upper section. This pole can support all of my weight (200lbs).

With Clarkii Rod stored in Top Section:
    Top Section with Clarkii Rod inside

With Clarkii Rod out:
    Clarkii Rod removed from top section

Weight:

Pole : 6.7oz
    Clarkii Rod: 1.5oz
    Rubber Tip cover: 0.45oz
    Basket: 0.2 oz

Total weight: 8.85oz

The hiking tip extension, which is the standard one used on RL hiking poles, is never extended while hiking, but only when extending as a tent pole to reach 64".

I am planning to add a 14" evafoam or cork grip to the top so final weight will be just over 9oz.

Thought I would share.

Derrick

Jorge Falcon
    BPL Member

@jorge-falcon

Locale: CCS

+1

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools