Topic

Stratospire 2 in Snow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stratospire 2 in Snow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

Has anyone used their Stratospire 2 in snow? Given the solid inner option, it seems like that would a possibility. Any feedback here?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I was thinking along the same lines, except that I was wondering if folks ever pitched the SS 2 as a fly-only shelter with the living space excavated like is common with tipi tents (BD megamid, etc)?

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

Any insight here?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've used it in moderate snowfall – nothing more than a few inches. It's got a fair amount of moderate angle surface area, so you'd likely want to knock the snow off in a serious dump and make sure to keep ample tension on the ridgeline. For 90% of winter use it's likely good.

One consideration is pitching the shelter. With the SS2, you've got a fair amount of essential stakeout points (ie. the shelter would collapse if the stake pulled out). There's a minimum of 6, but you really want to go with 8 stakes for any sort of decent weather, and for significant snowfalls you'd want to be using all 10 (10 stakes total with 6 of those being essential). In winter conditions staking can be a bit of a pain, so I prefer something a bit simpler (ie. a 4 corner mid + 2 extra stakes on the long sides).

Some of the nice things with the SS2 is that you can replace the inner with a groundsheet and then make it a hot tent (ie. TiGoat wood stove), which works nice even with 2 occupants. It's a great tent for mild-moderate winter use, but there's other tents I'd select for camping on a windy ridge with heavy snow in the forecast.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools