Topic

WM Megalite 30 + Jacks R’ Better Shenandoah Quilt = winter bag?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedDec 8, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I'm in need of a winter sleeping solution. I'm talking about something that will keep me relatively warm in the Sierra during the shoulder seasons and some of the winter. It's not a regular situation for me but it will become that way. I looked at 0-degree bags but they are more than I want to spend now.

So how is this for a short-term solution: Combining my two bags -Western Mountaineering Megalite 30 and a Jacks R' Better Shenandoah Quilt – and wearing a nano puff hoody and some base layers?

I'm sure there's a calculation I could do to figure this out, but I'm not that versed in these dynamics.

Rick Adams BPL Member
PostedDec 9, 2013 at 10:54 am

i've used megalite with ee 20 rvx up by donner in 0F and at 15F. It works but woke up several times with cold penetrating thru bag. It's pretty tough to keep it all in place but you'll be fine. After last winter I bought a 0F bag at a steep discount.

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedDec 9, 2013 at 11:00 am

I've used a WM Hilite (35) inside of a Marmot helium (15), sort of my summer + mountains = winter bag solution. Seems to work, but haven't tested it down to its limit. Good to at least 5, I would guess. Also a no-fiddling 2 mummy solution.

PostedDec 9, 2013 at 11:35 am

Jacks-R-Better has or had a page with a formula for combining tarps/bags.

I find that wearing a down hoodie adds a lot of warmth if it isn't getting squished to much by a tight bag.

A quilt should perform as well as a sleeping bag if it is attached to your sleeping pad properly.

Of course you will want to have a good amount of ground insulation as well.

PostedDec 9, 2013 at 11:39 am

Here is the formula that was posted on Hammockforums.net by Pan from Jacks-R-Better:

First estimate take the send bag reating subtract it from 70, devide that number by two and then subtract it from the first bag rate for a combined value ex

Two 40 degre bags… 70-40 =30 devided by 2 =15 subtracted from other bag 40-15=25 for a first cut estimate of the combined bags… it may actually be better but probably not worse, so this works as a good conservative estimator, IMHO.

Pan

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedDec 9, 2013 at 11:43 am

You could also just try adding the lofts, minus a safety factor – then compare loft with temperature ratings. Of course the bags have to fit comfortably inside each other with minimum compression for this to be reasonable.

PostedDec 13, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Great information, folks. Exactly what I was looking for – a formula. Now if I was only smart enough to use it! Kidding. I the two bags may work as a short term option.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...