Hi there,
I just got a new Western Mountaineering Ultralight and took it on a trip up to Big Sur. Temps were in the 40's, although I got a great night sleep I still experienced some cold spots in the night. Any suggestions?
Topic
COld Spots
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Where were the cold spots? Feet, torso, etc.
Ryan
Mostly in the torso or on my back. I have been using an insulated air core big agnes sleeping pad, which is a 5 R rating.
My 2 cents; I've owned a bunch of WM bags and I would say it would mostly likely be lack of food or extreme exhaustion but it could be other things like shelter being drafty and/or moisture build up in bag.
One more point, shake and fluff out the back to make sure the down is evened out.
Thanks for the insights. I probably should have mentioned that there was no shelter I was just sleeping on a tarp.
Is the bag a good fit for you? I have a WM Summerlite which is 4" loft rather than 5" of the Ultralite, but the girth is the same. It's a slim bag and it doesn't take much pressure from inside to compress the down enough to get a cold spot. This happens to me if my feet are against the bottom of the bag (I'm 6' in a 6' bag) until I reposition. I also notice it in my knees if they are bent and pressing into the inside of the bag. It's probably easier to compress the down in my Summerlite vs. your Ultralite, but if the bag is a little tight on you that could be an issue.
I agree with much the previous posters but I also want to add that I wouldn't trust the 5R rating of the sleeping pad. Maybe in ideal lab situations but not with someone actually laying on the pad compressing it. THere's a SOTMR article that goes into that a bit more. The UL20 has been EN tested to ~15F if you check some of the EU retailers of WM so it should be warm enough. I'd check your pad, fit, and overall nutrition/hydration first before worrying about the merits of the bag. I loved mine right up until the day someone else decided they loved it more than me and absconded with it!
How is a bag supposed to fit?
Become a member to post in the forums.

