Topic

Fastpacking in MD/VA/WVa/Pa

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Fastpacking in MD/VA/WVa/Pa

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Hart Rossman

@rossmanh

I’m new to fastpacking. I have yet to be on an ultralight overnight, but I’ve been working to improve my speed and milage over the last few months with day hikes. Is there anyone in MD/VA/WVa/Pa or close-by interested in putting a local trip together for later this winter or in the spring?

David Reid

@davidr

I’m planning a trip in March if you are interested. This trip is in VA along the AT. Let me know.

Hart Rossman

@rossmanh

David,

That would be cool. Do you have an itinerary planned?

David Reid

@davidr

Yes, give me your email address and I will fill you in on the details.

Charles Maguire

@hikelite

Locale: Virginia

If you don’t mind, I may go. Although I am new to VA (4 months), I am looking forward to learning the area.

I am in Richmond by the way.

Chuck

David Reid

@davidr

Chuck
    I’m also in Richmond, shoot me your email and we can try and get something together.

Charles Maguire

@hikelite

Locale: Virginia

My email is [email protected]. Look forward to talking with you.

Chuck

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

I suspect it would not constitute fast packing, but Gus and I are planning to do a week or so trip south of Shenandoah Park on the AT in May. I would like to overnight hike but knowing Gus we will probably slack pack it each day with a car on each end. We do about 20 miles a day. Anyone interested can e mail me at [email protected]

Hart Rossman

@rossmanh

I’m in Northern VA. My e-mail is my first name at hartandmelissa.com.

Rosaleen Sullivan
    Spectator

@mamarosa43

Locale: New England

Hi, Guys!

I’m looking at hiking south of Bears Den Hostel after April 15 with at least one other female hiker, who is also from MA. We may be able to help each other out with moving cars around, food drops, whatever.

I am NOT a fast packer, so we may meet up, but are unlikely to hike together.

Let me know if you are interested.

Rosaleen

David Reid

@davidr

Hart- I sent you an email.

Hart Rossman

@rossmanh

More of an FYI than anything else.
    A friend and I are planning to do a “short overnight”. We’re going to hike from Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) to Swain’s Lock (located along the C&O Canal Trail) and then back again. It’s about 16 miles each way and flat, flat, flat.

The plan is to leave in the late afternoon from Georgetown (3pm or later), get to Swain’s Lock & camp overnight, and then be back in Georgetown by lunchtime.

It’ll be my first overnight “UL” style.

Hart Rossman

@rossmanh

The trip went very well. We had incredible weather despite the forecast of freezing rain. We really lucked out! However, our legs were super sore owing to the fact that on Friday night we only took 2 short breaks because it was cold and I didn’t bring a jacket :( So, in the morning we packed up and went home instead of hiking back to Georgetown. All in all, not a bad first “short trip”. We hiked 17 miles in about 5+1/2 hours, spent the night out in about 28degrees temp., and had a great time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools