Topic

New tent decision

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New tent decision

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Roy Cameron
    Spectator

@roycameron

I am trying to decide on a new tent to replace my 10 year old zues exo which has not been the best tent due to condenstion and vestibule design. I am between three tents
    Big Sky soul X2 base model with upgraded poles
    SMD skyskape scout with carbon poles
    tarptent rainbow solo

I am leaning towards the soul as i really like that that the vestibule requires no stakes. Most of my hiking is on trail with platforms and that would be a bonus. however i worry about condensation with this tent as there doesnt seem to be much venting.

What i am wondering about the other two is how do they work when staking is not possible, i know the tarptent can be freestanding, but i also worry about condensation with the tarptent.

The SMD seems to have the best ventilation, but has anyone set this tent without stakes, like using rocks ect.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am aware of BS history with filling orders but i feel this is no longer an issue.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Roy,
    Take a look at the Tarptent Moment DW.
    Only needs 2 stakes to stand up but you can also easely just use ballast (rocks/sandbags/logs) over the end instead of stakes.
    Add two long guylines to the pole so that you can stake them on a wide area and or use again alternative ways to stake it such as rocks/bushes, etc.
    Plenty of ventilation with the two end vents as well as the two doors.
    TT Moment DW open
    Note that the floor is inside the drip line.

Roy Cameron
    Spectator

@roycameron

I do like that tent aswell, I am now leaning toward a skyscape trekker with carbon poles. i am 6'3" and think a 85 inch tent will be to short. my current zues is 85 long and my sleeping bad is always wet in the morning. anyone know if there are pictures of the inside of a trekker. interested to see where theres double wall and were there is not.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Like a lot of tents the Zeus has inward sloping walls so whilst the floor itself maybe 85" long that is not your usable space.
    This is a photo I took sometime ago to illustrate the point.
    BD Lighthouse 87 inches
    The floor of this rent is 87", however the "usable space" (enough room for head and feet) is about 15" less than that.
    The Moment floor is 84" but you have more that that to use because the walls slope outwards.
    Moment inner

Roy Cameron
    Spectator

@roycameron

Hi Franco
    Does they quoted wieght of 34 oz include the centre both poles, stakes and every thing else. and does the price of 269 include both poles

Thanks
    Roy

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Price and weight is for the standard set up, same as the first photo I posted.
    The extra X pole is for the "freestanding" option, $15, 6oz.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Locale: Cumberland Trail

You ought to check out the Borahgami by Borah Gear. John has great customer service and its really lightweight for the price. I have used mine in temps down to 20 F on an overnighter on the AT. http://borahgear.com/borahgami.html

I like its multiple pitch options and lightweight with enough room for two. It weighs 13.35 oz on my scale and comes with a .3 oz silnylon stuff sack. I use in conjunction with trekking poles, UL stakes from GG, and the polycro ground cloth from GG. My total weight after shelter, stakes, ground cloth, and guyline is only 18 ounces. MSRP $129

Roy Cameron
    Spectator

@roycameron

Anyone out there with a trekker that could share some comment on the tent. Really keen on hearing from some trekker users.
    Thanks Jeremy for the input but im not to keen on a tarp. Not yet anyway.

Matthew Stenger
    BPL Member

@matthewstenger

Locale: the beautiful northwest

How thoroughly have you tested the tarp?

I am very intersted in it, but I am considering using it for the AT, so I want to make sure it holds out well in a storm.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

this. Or a seoerate inner, lightest it gets.hexamid

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

As of now I have only had it in light rain and a couple overnight trips, but this Saturday I am leaving for a 140 mile trip from Chat to Nashville. I will be using this as my shelter with just some trekking poles, 12 ft of guyline, and some GG polycro ground cloths, which comes out to 19 oz (excluding trek. poles. I will be using it the full week next week, I will update my review of it, and then I will be going on another trip right after New Years, a 3 day trip. Both trips will be in 20 to 30 F temps and with two people (which will help me see how well it vents out all our breath). I don't anticipate any problems honestly, if I were going on a thru-hike, thus far I would feel comfortable taking it anywhere below treeline (but Borah has tested it in 40 mph winds). The only thing I would change is maybe getting a bug bivy for warmer season. I will keep it updated on my blog though. Borah actually also started making down vests and jackets as well. The size M vest weighs 4 oz with 2.2 oz 850 treated down fill…which is more than 200 cubic in. of fill than Montbell's UL vest, while weighing over an oz less. I will be carrying a size large version for my trip as well.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The Borahgami is an interesting looking shelter indeed. I was excited to hear that they will be at GGG this year and can't wait to see some of their products in person.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

So did Dale win the contest?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"So did Dale win the contest?"

Naming it?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Yeah

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I did get a chance to set my Borahgami up in the back yard and I was impressed with size for the weight. Keeping in minfmd that this twin person shelter is only two ounces more than my very minimalist Gatewood Cape and 6 ounces more than a poncho. And that is using silnylon, lowering the cost and simple repairs as noted in Jeremy's blog.

I think 13 ounces is a very reasonable weight for a solo shelter and this double could be carried by a solo hiker without being a burden. It's a no brainier for someone who hikes with a big dog. For a couple it could reduce the gear locker overhead by having one tent for solo or two person use.

The end panels give more protection and also lend themselves to catching a breeze for good ventilation in fair weather.

A longer version with a couple minor tweaks at the apex could make a very interesting tarp for a hammock and do double duty as a ground shelter.

I plan to give mine a good workout this Spring. I'm interested to see how it performs in the wind.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Yeah I think the Borahgami is a great option. Keeping in mind all the things you have said, the price for this shelter is great. Compare it to the Haven by Six Moon Designs: the Borahgami is 5 ounces lighter, more versatile (as it has more pitch options), and costs $70 less. I am considering trying a tarp/bivy combo for solo use since it would provide the same sort of protection, but it would costs me at least an extra $150 to make the switch.

Dale, do you like your Gatewood Cape? I am considering getting one for my fast packing solo trips.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Dale, do you like your Gatewood Cape? I am considering getting one for my fast packing solo trips."

That's where a Gatewood excels. It makes a great day hike CYA rain gear and emergency shelter option too. For all the questions there have been regarding the need for rain gear or shelter on such and such a hike, it is the universal answer. It needs a pole and six stakes, a chunk of polycryo for a ground cloth and you're campin'. It gives a lot more protection than a small tarp or poncho. If you are average height, you can pitch it down tight for bad weather, or jack it up 6" in better conditions for more ventilation. You do have 360 degree protection and a *door* in an 11oz package. IMHO, it is easier to pitch than a poncho too– one guy line and a pull-out if you need it and none of the crazy comedy skits with one end falling down while you are staking the other end. There is lots of vestibule room too, with 35sq. ft total, it has the coverage of many small 2 person tents, although it's not all good living space. If it gets slack during the night, you have the pole inside with you and the guyline is at the door edge for an easy tweak without going outside.

The Gatewood is no fashion statement when worn as rain gear, but it will keep you dry and vents well. If it's windy, a belt of light cord will tame it. As with ponchos, a windshirt with good DRW and some water resistant gloves are good when you use trekking poles. If you can get over not looking like you are a model for ArcTeryx, you have a nice shelter and rain gear :) It's still a super light shelter, even if you don't use it as rain gear and it takes up very little pack space.

As with any tarp shelter, you don't get bug protection. There is the mating Serenity Net Tent, but I think the way to go is a light bivy with a bug screen. That can be lighter and the same or less cost and adds warmth to your sleep system as well as more weather protection. A bivy is easier to rig too. The SUL bivies with a waterproof bottom, breathable topside and a bug hood.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Franco or Henry,

The Tarptent site says the Moment will fit a large (25" wide) pad, but the spec sheet says it's width is 20/42/20. Does that mean if you use a 25" pad it encroaches on the bathtub floor walls? If so, does this change the pitch at all so you don't put undue stress on the inner walls?

Also, would love to see a top-down drawing or pic of the floor – or does it expand out to 42" in the middle evenly on both sides?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

25" mat :

moment 25 inch mat
    standard inner set up (you can pull it towards either door) :
    moment inner std

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

So the 25" mat will fit, but it does press against the floor walls a bit.

Thanks Franco! Appreciate the pics.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Yes, that solves the sliding mat problem …

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'd like to see a Borahgami, one person size, in a storm mode 8' x 4' footprint..headroom about 40". It would weigh 1-2 oz less?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools