Topic

Down vest – Mont Bell UL?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down vest – Mont Bell UL?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

Hi,

Looking to buy a down vest for summer insulation, and wearing around town. I own a Patagonia down hoody, which I like but is too warm for my general Australian needs (bought for northern hemisphere winter use…).

My first instinct was the patagucci vest, but I can't find it at a decent price right now (less than $150 in M) and it's really not that light.

Mont Bell seems good on price and weight. My biggest concern would be that the fabric might be a bit fragile for regular wear in the city? Also it is a bit technical looking a shiny for that use… but that's a secondary concern.

Can people vouch for the MB being acceptably durable (I'm not hard on my clothes)?

Also, how is the sizing? I'm a medium for the patagonia, but couldn't get away with a much shorter body due to being tall…

Or any other recommendations…?

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I imagine the denier would be fine, just watch out for sharp pencils and shipping cart snags etc.

I think down jackets look silly in the city, I wear a Arxteryx atom lt though, in black, I think it's borderline too technical. I just bought a leather jacket on eBay actually, full zip and doesn't look too heavy. It's mainly for using it with my motorcycle.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I have the thermawrap UL vest and I really, really like it. It has a matte finish, it's warm but not TOO warm, it's not at all bulky and it fits very nicely.

It's not down, but I think that helps the overly puffy look that is so not attractive.

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

I don't have first hand knowledge of this one, but would consider it if I was shopping for a down vest. $49 US. We've had good luck with the jackets. Can you get it in Australia?

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/lifewear/men-ultra-light-down-vest/079120-68?ref=mens-clothing%2Fcollections%2Fultra-light-down-coats

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

Lachlan,

I have owned this vest for four years. Like all other products I have purchased from Montbell, it is of high quality. I would not be afraid to wear it in town or wherever. Even though they use 10 denier fabric, it seems quite durable to me. If you poke it with a knife, it will puncture. But so will any other fabric.

Hope this helps.
    Rodney

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I've had one for several years and it was held up well. My backpacking gear sees more rugged use than my city clothes.

Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

Well the last two comments were spot on… good thing they didn't go the other way as I freaked out at the fact that I decided I wanted medium and Backcountry had the only 'pure indigo' coloured one left online and I pulled the trigger.

Really excited now… better make it to me ahead of Christmas in time for a trip to New Zealand. Very frustratingly Backcountry won't ship Mont Bell to Australia directly despite the fact there is no local distributor so I need to go by way of a mail forwarder.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools