Topic

How to conduct the Darth Vader breathing test?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedDec 6, 2013 at 11:44 am

Can I get some advice on how to perform the Darth Vader test on clothing? And some standards (if possible)?

Am I doing this correctly: I empty my lungs, seal the fabric around my open mouth with my fingers as best I can, then breathe in through the mouth and count seconds until my lungs are full. For some nylon ripstop, this might be 15 seconds. For 100 wt fleece, maybe 3 seconds. For a rain jacket, I get dizzy and pass out before filling my lungs. (Kidding.) Is this more-or-less how the test works?

I suppose lung capacities and sealing ability are so different that no across-persons standards are possible, but has anyone kept track of their Darth Vader numbers for various clothing? Are there certain seconds you consider adequate for, say, light precipitation? Is there a cutoff point for what you consider adequately breathable in a wind shirt? Or too many variables here?

On a related note, someone (Dale? Justin?) was thinking of formalizing the Vader test with a constant air source and a lung capacity monitor. Any advancements on that front?

PostedDec 6, 2013 at 6:24 pm

That was Dale's idea.

For me the process is a bit more intuitive and automatic. I just suck in, and make a note to self. Very tempted to insert dirty joke **here**, but it's too obvious and so..

James holden BPL Member
PostedDec 6, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Put it to you mouth and try breathing

If you can breath pretty decently without alot of strain its brethable

If you sound like darth vader doing self inflicted autoerotic force choke asphyxiation you know theres an issue

;)

Jeffs Eleven BPL Member
PostedDec 6, 2013 at 10:14 pm

"self inflicted autoerotic force choke asphyxiation "

it worked for Micheal Hutchence.

…it DIDN'T work, rather.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...