I'm in need of a tent that will fit me and my new hiking companion, a Corgi named Max. I've currently got a Bearpaw Luna 2 but I'm not in love with it and want something that affords bug protection. I've considered getting an net tent for the Luna but since I'm not in love with it my eyes have wandered. It's also yellow which I thought would look cool but seems to attract bugs. In addition to bug protection I want something that has a small footprint and could also fit another adult (but not the dog) for a weekend if needed. I suspect 80% of the time it will be used by just me or just me and the dog.
That being said I've been eyeing the SS1. Before we got the dog I almost pulled the trigger on a Notch so I like the general idea of the shelter. Having two vestibules and a separate net tent I can leave behind when I don't want it are appealing. The TT website shows two pads fit inside the net tent but I'm concerned it could be uncomfortable for two adults. Has anyone who owns the SS1 actually tried to sleep two people in it? Like I said, it would only be for a night or two at most.
In the event the SS1 will be too tight I think the DR might be my next best option. I prefer side-entry shelters and the DR would obviously be more comfortable for two people. My big concern is that its a single wall tent. I live in a place where I've woken up with significant condensation on a flat tarp pitched in a lean-to configuration. With two people in the DR with the beaks closed up I'm concerned it will be condensation factory. I know I can simply wipe the walls down before I start moving around but its certainly a con compared to the SS1 where I'd be separated from it. Plus its heavier, requires a dedicated pole, and I lose the modularity.
Unfortunately I've had to rule out the SS2 because its foot print is too large and its out of my price range. And since I know it will come up, the Luna works ok for just me but I think its going to be too cramped for two, especially with the pole in the middle. And I don't like that someone's gear is going to get wet when we open the door while its raining. I've had to rule out larger pyramids due to the large foot print as well. I'm open to other option, the Tarptents are just what have stood out to me. The cheapest option would be to just get a Pyranet 2 for my Luna and deal with being a little cramped and the possibility of a little water getting on my gear. At least we'd be cramped and dry in a SS1 :D
TL;DR – Anyone used a Stratospire 1 with two people inside? Too cramped? Or liveable for a night or two? Any better options for a mostly-solo-plus-dog-but-sometimes-two-person shelter with bug protection?
Adam




