Topic

eVent in shoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) eVent in shoes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Anybody use shoes that use eVent? Seems like a lot of folks here like eVent for their WPB jackets, but don't seem to hear much about eVent shoes. I have a pair of Teva hiking shoes that have eVent. While not "magical" by any means, certainly are better than the shoes with goretex i use to have as far as foot sweat goes (looking back, can't believe i used those on the Camino, and too boot didn't get any blisters).

When i wear my thin, linen-poly socks with them, works great at a wide temp range (about 35 to 80). When colder, wear Merino-synth socks that are not too thick.

But maybe there are reasons why i don't seem to hear more about eVent in shoes around here?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Its generally believed that event is less durable than goretex … The flip side is that you need to always be washing event for it to work properly, the tags on westcomb jackets say that exactly

Combine the two toghether and you have a material that is perhaps not the most suitable for footwear

If you frequent the brit forums where they use stuff such as paramo, event, neoshell, gore more frequently in climbing and other high use (it rains alot i believe in the uk) … Gore (pro) is considered tops for durability

;)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've worn several mid height boots that had eVent. They stayed waterproof for the many miles I used them. They aren't as breathable as some shoes so my socks get a little damp from sweat, but nowhere near as much as if they got wet from rain. I think GoreTex would be equivalent.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I like Columbia's OutDry stuff. Their waterproof layer I'd just under the outside fabric, instead of just behind the inside liner. The biggest advantage to that I've found is that I feel less of the cold water against my foot when crossing low streams or whatever, and the shoe doesn't get waterlogged.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Eric

Yeah, durability may be a consideration, but i also look at this way too. For more typical/common hiking (not doing much bushwhacking, not a lot of climbing, not a long thru hike, etc), a good quality and not super light jacket can last a fairly long time if otherwise taken care of.

Hiking footwear, can wear out fairly fast depending on the type and thickness of the sole. If my eVent shoes are only going to last a year to a year and a half anyways, should i be that concerned with durability of the membrane?

In that sense at least, eVent makes a lot of sense for footwear. I'm sure Goretex is probably more durable long term, and for a jacket, that's a really good thing, but i mostly wore out the soles of my ecco hiking shoes (very well built shoes) that had goretex during a 500 mi hike.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jerry, there probably isn't a huge difference in that area, but the goretex shoes i had used definitely got my feet sweatier than the eVent ones i have.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That's an interesting point about placement Andy. Makes sense.

I wonder if one could copy this, by buying and making an eVent over shoe/sock of sorts, for some very breathable, light shoes. I guess gaiters come close to that, but i'm thinking more all around fit and coverage.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Derr Justin… inner event socks would be much simpler and longer lasting, but you would still have the problem of getting your shoes wet.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Kayland make event shoes.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Not anymore since a few years.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools