Topic

Who in So Cal is going out this COLD weekend?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Who in So Cal is going out this COLD weekend?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

depends…around LA,i like mt pinos.I have never had luck in angeles forest and san gorgonio and hiway 2…crap conditions,cant find a trail,parking.I wish i could find a place there to snowshoe….As it is, i was shoeing in 1 ft of snow in the sierra last weekend.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Hiking in so-cal you rarely have to think about layering ;)
    24 here tonight.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

i see lots of people do baldy and there is some snow but not enough for snowshoes right?the last storm there didnt look like much fell…i just never seem to have any luck in attempting that area.

scree ride

@scree

Looking for microspikes.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

We're hoping for enough snow from the storm on Saturday to go snowshoeing on San J on Sunday. Wishful thinking, we will probably just use micro's. My wife runs cold but I'm usually good with shorts, t shirt and maybe a vest and windshirt for breaks.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

i like to snowshoe and i see all these great pics from baldy hikers in the snow and the snow covered trees but i see so many dirt patches and thin or windswept areas.I tried san gorgonio south fork and the snow was hard like rock….hiway 2 is nice but if it snows how to find out what got snow and parking there is difficult if i remember right.

the only place i see that gets enough snow is san j and san g which are long drives from burbank….so what place has good snow,parking and driveable?

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

I was just in Lockwood Valley yesterday and the over night low was 17. Some people are reporting even colder today, as low as 0f. The wind was making it uncomfortable. It was only like 10-15 mph wind gusts but brrr! No snow on Pinos yet. It rained but stopped before the cold kicked in.

If I were going out my layers would be cap 2, cap 3(or or Pendleton shirt), fleece shirt, houdini, das parka, rain jacket, fleece pants, hiking pants, rain pants and warm hat gloves and footwear. Basically ready for anything.

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Not this weekend but last weekend I was in the Cucamonga Wilderness. Night time temps were in the low 30's. I was wearing shorts with tights (eek! thats a visual) and a down jacket.

Photo Op on the way to Ontario Peak

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

I'm in Burbank too and Angeles National is not far from where we are. There are some short hikes past Chilao on HWY2 that you can get to that require snowshoes. Last January, I went to Little Jimmy with only microspikes and snow was thigh-high on some sections…wished I had snowshoes then :)

Not sure how much snow is going to dump in the mountains this weekend but from last weekend (past Icehouse Saddle), only needed microspikes on some sections.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Andy,

Don't forget the trail to the tram from the bottom of the mountain :)

Crampons and ice axe not needed yet… maybe this weekend.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

RogerDodger,
    thx for the info…ya the city folk crowds and the early start are other issues…but the key is the snow coverage.im a bad sleeper and rarely on the trail at 9 never mind earlier….san g and j are about 2.5 hrs if not more from me and at that rate i might as well go to whitney area….i will try buckhorn tho…

thanks mangnus as well…

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

This thread was making no sense to me until you said you dont wake up to drive to the trailhead until 9am. Now it makes much more sense why the parking lots, roads and access seems so difficult. I'm usually on my way out of the trail by that time, so I get to see alot of the traffic you're having to deal with.

Unless your January/February schedule allows you frequent weekday hikes in Gorgonio or Jacinto, your snowshoes will mostly be pack ornaments. But you can have a blast with microspikes around here for months!…Oh, but not after 9am please, the roads are crowded enough on my way out. :)

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Thanks for the reminder Nick. . I've been up via Deer Springs and Marion Mtn but still haven't done the C2T or C2C. Time to step it up this season!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

It looks like you have been getting a lot of trips in! Good for you!!

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

that is one flaw of mine=not packing the nite before.Im going to start doing that….the sleep thing,well,thats been a problem for a long time,to which there are no solutions.Some,many people suffer with this issue.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Folks in other parts of the country must be laughing :)

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

the most funny and ridicuous thing is when you see people run from the parking lot and into the mall because its so cold outside(this is when the temperature hits the low 50s or less).
    I used to walk to school in -20c weather so seeing this is hilarious to me.I laughed yesterday when on tv i saw a ticker tape frost advisory warning -temps in the low 30s/hi 20s -hahahaha.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

"Saturday High 37F, Low 29F

SoCal peeps, forecast this weekend is for arctic chilly Willy weather."

ROFL!

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

last weeks episode with Black Friday was hilarious…especially the joke about the news anchor team…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools