Topic

Choosing between a Golite Sl3, MLD Cuben Duomid and MLD Sil Trailstar

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Choosing between a Golite Sl3, MLD Cuben Duomid and MLD Sil Trailstar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Folks,

If you had to choose between a Golite Sl3, MLD Cuben Duomid and MLD Sil Trailstar which one would you pick and why?

Cheers,

Stephen

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I like the SL3 quite a bit. It's currently my oldest shelter and I've yet to find any reason to replace it. Of the three shelters you mention (I've been in them all), I think it's the most versatile and uses the most robust fabric.

Consider that it can also be pitched in a similar configuration/footprint to the Duomid with a few mods. I have a post on it
    here:

http://sweepingthegarden.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/golite-shangri-la-3-hex-to-mid-conversion/

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I recently looked at that lot and picked the trailstar. I picked it because I am in an area with lots rain. I prefer the large footprint to spread out on wet trips. And it has been very good for me on soggy trips. With less rain, I might have gone with a different tarp.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

MLD Cuben Duomid – absolutely my favorite! Does a great job with wind, no leaks from MLD, lots of room as a solo, weighs 1 lb 8.9 oz complete: inner net tent, guys, stakes, stuff sack. About 2 oz lighter with the Superlight Bivy (cuben, net) instead of inner tent.

The Trailstar handles wind even better, and is a better choice for two. With kids (grandkids) we can fit three under it (1 adult, 2 kids).

No experience with GoLite SL3.

Wolf’s Rain
    BPL Member

@wolfsrain

I picked up a Trailstar this Fall and it has been great. I love having the room to spread out and all the different pitch options it offers. It had already started getting cold when I first used it so have had to keep a lower pitch. I am really looking forward to an open and airy pitch in the warmer months.

No experience with the other two shelters. My long term plan is to pick up a Duomid for mostly winter camps and have the Trailstar for the other seasons. The Trailstar has been fine so far in the cold (no snow camps yet) and I am planning a trip to the Whites this weekend. But, after a 17F degree night a few weeks ago when the wind switched directions at about 5am, I can see the benefit of having the door / fully enclosed Duomid.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I vote hexamid solo plus, crazy light and with a break you have just as much coverage.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Gents,

Thanks all for the replies.

I actually have the 3 shelters (all bought on gear swap) and have tried out both the Duomid and Trailstar on winter
    trips and and really like both of them, I have not used the Sl3 yet but have been on plenty of trips where buddies where using them and can really appreciate the space and head height it has.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Stephen, I suppose it depends. Where/when will the shelter be used? And in what conditions?

If I had to pick from the three, I'd go with the SL3. The trailstar is super stable in high wind, but I feel the SL3 would take close to the same amount of wind while providing a bit more space to sit and not bonk your head against the tarp. Plus, it would be better for winter use, if you're looking for an all around shelter.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Sigh… I guess this is as good a place as any to come clean… I currently own… all three of these shelters (albeit my Duomid is sil, not cuben).

It started with the Trailstar. It has been, and still is, my most often used shelter. I've had it for 4 or 5 years now. I love the wind and rain worthiness of the shelter, the amount of covered space and the simple, yet elegant design. There's something about the look of the shelter that I just really enjoy. I've also found it to be sturdy and dependable and generally have no complaints about its performance. It's an A+ shelter for me and if I had to whittle my kit down to one, it would likely be my final choice.

But I don't have to limit myself to just one, and so at some point along the way, I decided I needed a second shelter… one better suited to winter snow camping applications mainly. Also, one that didn't require me to always carry two trekking poles. So I picked up a used sil Duomid and have used it a handful of times over the last ~2 years. I like it… but I don't love it, like I do the Trailstar. It pitches simply and quickly and it's great for snow. I find it a bit cramped for two; better for just me, or me and the pup. It has a smaller footprint than the Trailstar, which is nice sometimes, although I don't find it as worthy of a shelter in windy conditions or wind blown rain. Air circulation inside the shelter isn't as good either. Still, it's a nice shelter and I plan to keep it and continue using it for certain types of trips.

More recently, I decided we needed a larger family shelter that could handle snow camping or better lend itself to a shared winter shelter for 2 people + 1 or 2 dogs. So I again searched the forums and ended up with a used SL3. I'm actually pretty impressed with this shelter: It's got lots of room, is well made and isn't too much heavier than the sil Duomid. The increased height is nice too. Set up is a little more fiddly with 6 corners to stake out, but nothing outrageous. I cut off the webbing tie out points and added my own linelocks instead that allow me to pitch it tight to the ground or use deadman anchors. The SL3 doesn't get used very often, but it, along with the inner can do double duty as our car camping tent, so I think I'll hang on to it too.

Looks like I'm advocating buying and/or keeping all three. Sorry… Guess I wasn't too much help after all…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Guys,

The shelters will see use all over the US and back in Europe.

Thinking about it now the main overlap is between the Trailstar and the Duomid.

There is only 200g between the Duomid and Sl3 and the Trailstar sits in the middle, the Sl3 pitched with the stock pole does sure seem bomber.

For really crazy weather or alpine use I pack a hilleberg.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

n/m

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

It depends on the use. Is this for solo or two person use? What kind of weather do u have? The trailstar is the best in high wind, but doesn't handle heavy snow as well. Would u use the inner that comes with the SL3? How important is headroom? The SL3 has the most. The Duomid is the lightest of course.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

its mainly for solo use in winter, the sl3 probaly would be the best all round option.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools